At The Mountains Of Madness / Lovecraft film adaptations?

Topics of the Mythos

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Carmine Doll
Occultist
Occultist

Re: At The Mountains Of Madness / Lovecraft film adaptations

Post by Carmine Doll »

Erich Zann wrote:
Masters Of Horror; The Dreams In The Witch House.
Yea 8) I finally got that movie!!!
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Worth watching?
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Carmine Doll
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Carmine Doll »

Yea it was pretty good!!

Pretty good movie for under $10.00 8)

So I am pretty happy about spending 9.50 on it!!

I have spend more on crappy movies :roll:
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i saw 'beyond the wall of sleep' in the video store the other day.. i almost got it, but didn't want to be disappointed. is it as good as the box boasts? i haven't read the story, and probably would rather not read it before seeing this movie.. that is, if anyone recommends it
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Carmine Doll
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Carmine Doll »

I believe if i dream and think about a movie I want
I HAVE TO get it and that is the way I felt about that movie!!

So yeah I HAD TO HAVE!!!
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

JJ Burke wrote:is it as good as the box boasts?
No. My review of BtWoS (written last summer).
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Erich Zann »

E.A. Lovecraft,

E.A. The trailer for Beyond The Wall Of Sleep looks like it might be pretty cool. Obviously an unfaithful adaptation but still it looks as though it could be entertaining. I'm definitely gonna pick it up.
"I saw no city spread below, and no friendly lights gleaming from remembered streets, but only the blackness of space illimitable; unimagined space alive with motion and music, and having no semblance of anything on earth."
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

Approach it as if you're watching a home-made movie. Do that and, if you enjoy B-grade flics, you should might enjoy it. The trailer and official web site make it appear to be a project that a decent budget and experienced direction.

Personally, I'd like to see the film's makers continue to work on mythos projects. I think they would do better with each one.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

hey, i was recently back at the video store, and i took another look at the box for 'beyond the wall of sleep'.. and there was a quote from----none other than the dunwich herald! i should have taken a picture.. i forgot what the quote was, but not the source! i guess they thought the review was more flattering than you intended

that's big-time, baby.. now i will get chicks by telling them how i know you, and how i give you all your ideas
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

lol . . . I haven't seen the video's commercial packaging. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that a distributor had picked up the movie yet.

The directors seemed pretty happy with the review, and more or less agreed with it. They were even gracious enough to do a DH interview after the review came out.

They're young guys trying to get a foot in the door, cutting their teeth on no-budget projects. Both are dedicated Lovecraft fans, and I hope they're able to continue working with the mythos.

I really should crank up the Herald again. It's been six months since I did anything with it. Tanith E. Howard sent me an article today about a rash of sanity striking Arkham. I just need a couple more writers to help pick up the slack.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

back to the video store tonight, passed on beyond the wall of sleep but picked up the "masters of horror" double-feature from showtime. i was pleasantly surprised by dreams in the witch house, although the effects for brown jenkin were a little lackluster. it was reasonably close to hpl's story, although it's been updated to the laptop-and-cellphone era, and there were probably more boobies than hpl would have included (am i complaining?). after that, john carpenter's cigarette burns was quite cool. its halloweenish music (by cody carpenter) got a little tedious though...

both were better than what i'd expect from a tv series. if you haven't seen it, i would recommend the rental
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

JJ Burke wrote:back to the video store tonight, passed on beyond the wall of sleep but picked up the "masters of horror" double-feature from showtime. i was pleasantly surprised by dreams in the witch house, although the effects for brown jenkin were a little lackluster. it was reasonably close to hpl's story, although it's been updated to the laptop-and-cellphone era, and there were probably more boobies than hpl would have included (am i complaining?). after that, john carpenter's cigarette burns was quite cool. its halloweenish music (by cody carpenter) got a little tedious though...

both were better than what i'd expect from a tv series. if you haven't seen it, i would recommend the rental
I'm surprised to hear that this was at all good. I seem to remember looking at it, noticing a certain emphasis on, um, boobies, and deciding that it probably had nothing to do with Lovecraft. But if it's not bad, maybe I'll give it a shot.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

well, it was entertaining for me.. i went in expecting to be disappointed, so maybe that was the key. i'll see if it stands up to repeat viewing before i have to return it
krakenten
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by krakenten »

Examine the trailer-it's very much an authentic example of the silent film experience..
A side note, too many people seem to think that Lovecraftian means silent letters, apostrophes and the Necronomicon-I beg to differ.
Mentally change "The Mothman Prophesies" to "Nyerlathotep Speaks!", and see how close to a classic mythos tale it is.
"Ringu" explores the basic themes of the taint of evil and it's persistance, mention Azathoth or Shub-Niggurath, and see what happens.
As for "The Grudge", move it to a farmhouse in New England, change a name to Whately or Marsh and again you have a very spooky story, just as wierd as you might desire and with perhaps a few allusions to sins of the past.
Vita Brevis, Ars Longa, Mors Profundis
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I ended up buying Dreams in the Witchhouse at HMV after seeing 5 minutes of it on tv...have to say I was pretty disappointed :|
krakenten wrote:Examine the trailer-it's very much an authentic example of the silent film experience..
A side note, too many people seem to think that Lovecraftian means silent letters, apostrophes and the Necronomicon-I beg to differ.
Mentally change "The Mothman Prophesies" to "Nyerlathotep Speaks!", and see how close to a classic mythos tale it is.
"Ringu" explores the basic themes of the taint of evil and it's persistance, mention Azathoth or Shub-Niggurath, and see what happens.
As for "The Grudge", move it to a farmhouse in New England, change a name to Whately or Marsh and again you have a very spooky story, just as wierd as you might desire and with perhaps a few allusions to sins of the past.
First of all man, no-one should ever make a Ring/Mythos movie...for if they did it would be one of the biggest pieces of crap ever...

...And secondly...the Grudge is the biggest joke in horror movie history...I meen common, why are we taken ideas from the Japonese? they suck...sept for anime :wink:
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure