What would you read in a lovecraftian paper?

The Online Lovecraftian monthly Magazine

Moderators: mgmirkin, EG_Administration, Moderators

EG_Administration
Librarian
Librarian

What would you read in a lovecraftian paper?

Post by EG_Administration »

Considerabley, what draws you to the magazines and pulp-publications? is it the genre? the writers? What would you say is the pull to your interest in the pulp genres, the horror genres, and the skeptic genres?

Woodruff
"Most men dream at night, to wake in the day and find that it was vanity...

But the Dreamers of the Day are dangerous men, for they may act upon their dreams."
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i don't know what counts as 'skeptic' material, but for the rest, it's all escapism for me. i've never been satisfied with reality as it appears to most people, and in a lot of ways i feel like the world isn't really going anywhere. so for a few minutes at a time, i shut out all that disenchantment and try to revert back to childhood by spooking myself with stories
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Re: What would you read in a lovecraftian paper?

Post by Hodgson »

EG_Administration wrote:Considerabley, what draws you to the magazines and pulp-publications? is it the genre? the writers? What would you say is the pull to your interest in the pulp genres, the horror genres, and the skeptic genres?

Woodruff
I don't have a magazine (aside from outdoors magazines) that I read regularly. But if there were a Lovecraftian paper that I wanted to read, it would be one that was concerned less with indiscriminately surveying anything that mentions Cthulhu than embodying the interests and outlook that Lovecraft brought into his stories--his interest in history, architecture, philosophy, etc.

Aside from that, it would be a matter of pure fantasy, without boundaries or conventions, and hopefully with some sense of the history of fantasy in art.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

EG_Administration wrote:Considerabley, what draws you to the magazines and pulp-publications? is it the genre? the writers? What would you say is the pull to your interest in the pulp genres, the horror genres, and the skeptic genres?

Woodruff
If you don't mind my asking, are we talking generally here, or are you looking to take EG in a different direction?

I've just been here a little while and am still getting caught up with EG, but I'd like to contribute.
EG_Administration
Librarian
Librarian

Hodgson wrote:

Woodruff
If you don't mind my asking, are we talking generally here, or are you looking to take EG in a different direction?

I've just been here a little while and am still getting caught up with EG, but I'd like to contribute.
Hey, I'm always open to contributions. Material ( as I have to note, due to the current defunt status of our guidelines page) must be along the aspiring weird fiction genres/fiction/science fiction/horror/poetry. Art really is along the same, etc...

To answer the comment, yes, we are looking to go in another direction; something not so Lovecraft based. Its actually illustrated (though, i admit, somewhat enigmatically) on the home profile for EG, with the new banner. The banner depicts the faces of several renouned writers of those genres; from blackwood, to lovecraft, to poe, hodgson and chambers. The further we go, the further from our crutches we wander. This is the way of all things. BUt that doesnt mean we are going to stop our support, either in a gradual sense or in a sudden loss of connectivity with the Lovecraftian fan scene. We are still in full support of those film makers/writers/artists who aspire to move along the eldritch paths of the hapless experiment.

the rest is just the collective growth of time.

Woodruff

p.s. btw, all submissions can be sent either as a private message on here, a "send me a message" on myspace, or to the following email address:

eldritchgaz@msn.com

But the Dreamers of the Day are dangerous men, for they may act upon their dreams."
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Hodgson wrote: Well, this is good timing for me. I'm mostly finished with a project that has occupied more than the past year and a half, and am looking to write a lot of shorter fiction and non-fiction before getting into anything killing again. Especially now that I know you're interested in a broader variety, I should be sure to send some things your way.
I haven't forgotten about this but the work took longer than I thought it would. After the first of the year, I should be sending you something.
Last edited by Hodgson on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
EG_Administration
Librarian
Librarian

Hodgson wrote:
EG_Administration wrote:
Hodgson wrote: If you don't mind my asking, are we talking generally here, or are you looking to take EG in a different direction?

Hey, I'm always open to contributions. Material ( as I have to note, due to the current defunt status of our guidelines page) must be along the aspiring weird fiction genres/fiction/science fiction/horror/poetry. Art really is along the same, etc...

To answer the comment, yes, we are looking to go in another direction; something not so Lovecraft based. Its actually illustrated (though, i admit, somewhat enigmatically) on the home profile for EG, with the new banner. The banner depicts the faces of several renouned writers of those genres; from blackwood, to lovecraft, to poe, hodgson and chambers. The further we go, the further from our crutches we wander. This is the way of all things. BUt that doesnt mean we are going to stop our support, either in a gradual sense or in a sudden loss of connectivity with the Lovecraftian fan scene. We are still in full support of those film makers/writers/artists who aspire to move along the eldritch paths of the hapless experiment.

the rest is just the collective growth of time.

Woodruff

p.s. btw, all submissions can be sent either as a private message on here, a "send me a message" on myspace, or to the following email address:

eldritchgaz@msn.com
Well, this is good timing for me. I'm mostly finished with a project that has occupied more than the past year and a half, and am looking to write a lot of shorter fiction and non-fiction before getting into anything killing again. Especially now that I know you're interested in a broader variety, I should be sure to send some things your way.

Brace yourself. :cthulhu2:

Or not.
hey, im braced!

:shock:

Woodruff

Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Woodruff, are you still out there? That "mostly finished" from last September is about to turn into completely finished and I wondered if you were still interested in submissions.
Jazon
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Jazon »

Id read one! id like it based like the mythos were a fact, like fake dissaperances as well as info on the creatures and short fan fics etc
EG_Administration
Librarian
Librarian

Alright,

I'm back from a long sebbatical. it's been a crazy year with EG. ups and down, and all that fun stuff that ever tends to block our desired progress.

now, however, is the new year and the new goal. EG, as i stated last year, eventually would be established in its own official web base, with the myspace.com profile opperating as a satelitte server. Well, for those of you who are still interested in submitting material for our new issue and working on the web site, now is your chance to give me your thoughts and ideas. I know a few of you were intered is helpingbuild the site, and now that I finally can set aside the time, it would be great to get the community together to back EG's development again.

thanks alot for your patience guid. I can only hope to reimburse you.

Woodruff

Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

I'd be interested in providing profiles of writers, artists, individual works, etc. I would also like to submit fiction but non-fiction would be easier for me to provide right away as things are busy for me at the moment.

Can you tell me how soon you're looking to fill up an issue? I'll write a few things and send them to see what you think.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

hey woodruff, welcome back. i may have some material for your consideration. also, i'll be glad to help with your web design tasks, if you have any specific needs to fill...
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
EG_Administration
Librarian
Librarian

hey huys, thanks for the reply. issue will be published with the opening of the new site. for that, i need people interested in making graphics and web designing. im not familiar with the advanced html processes that are needed to build a website on a domain, so if anyone is, let me know and we can go through the desired lay out of how it should look.

as for your written material, send me your submission interests via email to: eldritchgaz@msn.com.

non fiction is just fine, and i am sure that you know the genre or air, i should say, of what i am interested in publishing.

publishing date will be may 15th with our 1 year anniversary, with the issue completely under digital format on the website.

let me know guys. i'd be quite pleased to bring you along.

Woodruff

EG_Administration
Librarian
Librarian

p.s. im also looking for an editor, a marketing director and a gaggle of freelance writers.

if anyone is interested in filling these positions and would like to know more, drop me a line.

Woodruff

Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

If you're going online with it May 15, then that should leave about a month or so to get the material to you, I guess--which should be plenty of time.