At the Mountains of Madness Movie Update

Music, Art, Movies - Let us know!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I think it'd be kind slow so I want to see where they go with it...hopefully no love interest...
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
Torwaechter
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Torwaechter »

Razakel
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Razakel »

I'm a huge Del Toro fan. Pretty much everything he's done I have been very impressed. And to be honest I really REALLY can't see anyone else do ATMOM then Del Toro. He has the vision for this story. I really can't see him messing this up.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

yeah he's definitely one of my favorite directors now. he's like a more gritty version of peter jackson. i like when fat unkempt guys with accents are in charge. whether it's a movie set or a turkish prison, you know things are going to get interesting.
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Ian Whateley
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Ian Whateley »

Well, I just read those two reviews. Call me a purist, but I don't see what is wrong with writing a Lovecraftian movie script that sticks to the text. Simply by having the aliens stooping to imitate humans or even bother talking to them, and then by including Christian references, and then removing the typical Lovecraftian structure in favor of a popular cinematic one, the real genius of Lovecraft is removed. Now, there's still good material, and I'm sure a fine horror movie can be made...but that's all it will be. A fine horror movie, not a fine Mythos movie.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

what are the reviews based on? has the official script been leaked, or what? (i'm trying not to read too much about this, because that's poison for when i go to the theater).
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Ian Whateley
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Ian Whateley »

Yeah, the official script has been leaked, and it appears that the author mixed the plot of ATMOM with a superb (but nevertheless one that shouldn't have been mixed) science fiction novella by John Campbell.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

well, that's a drag. or maybe it's a red herring, like the 'whale' design of the cloverfield monster.
lukenukem
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by lukenukem »

It will never come to the screen. Reading the Empire Online interview it seems he will never get the backing. I really am pining for this film to appear one day..but it won't and wishing it so won't make it happen any sooner.. :cry:
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

don't pierce my sweet fantasy bubble of hope with your rusty old crooked skewer of cynicism! money isn't everything—this is hollywood, baby! land of dreams!

my dream? i'll tell you my dream. i'm gonna star on broadway, ma, right in the heart of hollywood, you'll see
lukenukem
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by lukenukem »

We have the CoC by the HPLHS to console us while we wait. Their latest radio play is out and Shadow Over... to come soon. Let's hope they get Whisperer done sooner than later as well!
Chaos33
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Chaos33 »

I hope they do it, I would love to see a ATMOM movie and deltoro is the perfect person to do it :)
Image Image
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

DavFlamerock
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by DavFlamerock »

I dunno. I don't mind the Christian additions--it can certainly make it more potent. And I'm all for action in Mountains, as long as they keep it to a minimum (less Hellboy plox)... but I'm worried about the shapeshifting shoggoths thing. The whole point of Mountains was that it was somewhat normal until all of a sudden they start going through the city and run into really fracking wierd things.

But I believe that Del Toro can pull it off.

One movie that I would LOVE to see translated pretty much verbatum to screen would be the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. While I read that I was thinking "WOW THIS IS SO CINEMATIC. I REALLY want to see this movie!"
neonchris
Librarian
Librarian

Post by neonchris »

lukenukem wrote:We have the CoC by the HPLHS to console us while we wait. Their latest radio play is out and Shadow Over... to come soon. Let's hope they get Whisperer done sooner than later as well!
The HPLHS radio plays are awesome. "at the mountains of madness" is good but I was a little frustrated by the OTT radio interferance during the world wide wireless news interviews - not great for listening to in the car when you're having to fiddle with the volume. "the dunwich horror" is far better. "the shadow out of time" is the next one - I'll get that on payday - I can imagine that "the shadow over innsmouth" is going to be their best of all though. Plenty of dramatic potential in that one, and while I enjoyed Stuart Gordan's "dagon" I think that a more faithful translation would be supercool.