NBA owners discussed Donald Sterlings CNN
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:26 pm
NEW YORK -- NBA owners discussed Donald Sterlings CNN interview and the plans to terminate his ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday in the third meeting of the advisory/finance committee. Zinedine Zidane Jersey . A day after Commissioner Adam Silver repeated his desire to force Sterling to sell quickly, the committee met via conference call. League spokesman Mike Bass said owners reviewed the status of the charge for termination of the Clippers ownership. Silver or an owner has to formally charge Sterling in writing with violating Article 13 of the NBAs constitution. A hearing would then be held and require a three-fourths vote of the board of governors to force Sterling to sell the team he has owned since 1981. Sterling criticized Magic Johnson in the interview that aired Monday, his first public comments since Silver banned him for life and fined him $2.5 million for making racist comments. Silver apologized to Johnson in a statement, adding that owners were working "as expeditiously as possible" on the process for removal. Bass said the committee also discussed the media appearance of Shelly Sterling, who said she wants to keep her share of the franchise even if her estranged husband is forced to give up his. The NBA has said that wouldnt be possible. The 10-member committee was also briefed on the hiring of Dick Parsons as the Clippers interim CEO, and his meeting with team employees Monday. Minnesota owner Glen Taylor chairs the committee that includes Miamis Micky Arison, the Lakers Jeanie Buss, Oklahoma Citys Clay Bennett, New Yorks James Dolan, Bostons Wyc Grousbeck, San Antonios Peter Holt, Phoenixs Robert Sarver, Indianas Herb Simon and Torontos Larry Tanenbaum. The committee plans to reconvene next week. Thierry Henry France Jersey . -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are making a case for saving coach Greg Schianos job with a strong second-half turnaround. Yohan Cabaye Jersey . Madrid lost Cristiano Ronaldo to injury early in the match and failed to create any clear scoring chances after the Portugal forwards exit. His team now trails city and Champions League final rival Atletico Madrid by four points with two games to play.NEW YORK -- Regular-season games could be at stake when NBA owners and players meet this weekend. And those might not be all that is lost, Commissioner David Stern warned, without real headway toward a new labour deal. "All Id say to that is that there are enormous consequences at play here on the basis of the weekend," Stern said Wednesday. "Either well make very good progress, and we know what that would mean -- we know how good that would be, without putting dates to it -- or we wont make any progress and then it wont be a question of just starting the season on time, it will be a lot at risk because of the absence of progress." Talks between negotiators ended after two days Wednesday so they could return home before summoning their respective bargaining committees to New York for the most important stretch of the lockout. They will meet Friday and are prepared to talk through the weekend if progress toward a new collective bargaining agreement is being made. There hasnt been enough of it so far, with the lockout nearly three months complete. Both Stern and union president Derek Fisher of the Lakers said they are not close with the Nov. 1 season opener a little more than a month away. Fisher added the commitment to block out multiple days this weekend "points more toward the calendar than actually being able to measure progress." "It points to the realities that we face with our calendar and that if we cant find a way to get some common ground really, really soon, then the time of starting the regular season at its scheduled date is going to be in jeopardy big-time," he added. Training camps already have been postponed and 43 games scheduled for the first week of the preseason have been cancelled. The league has said it will make decisions about the remainder of exhibition play as warranted, and those could come shortly. The league denied an ESPN.com report that Stern planned to threaten players with cancellation of the entire 2011-12 season if there wasnt progress toward a deal by the end of the weekend. "Its simply not true," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said. Fisher said some of the leagues biggest names could join the executive committee in Fridays meeting, and Miami guard Dwyane Wade has committed to attend. Wade was part of a meeting about labour issues at the 2010 All-Star weekend in Dallas, when players were bbriefed about owners plans for dramatic changes to the leagues salary structure. Olivier Giroud Jersey. Owners have been looking to reduce the players guarantee of basketball-related income from 57 per cent to somewhere in the mid-40s. "I look forward to learning something that I didnt learn two years ago," Wade told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "Hopefully, its different information, something that will move us forward. Hopefully we dont walk out of the meeting back at where we were at the all-star game two years ago." Wade has been in New York for the past couple days for business meetings. When the invitation came to attend Fridays session, he did not hesitate. "Ive talked to a couple guys," Wade said. "Im here. ... I was going to leave tomorrow, but Im going to stay in town and go to the next meeting." Fisher will brief the players first on the state of the talks. "I cant say that common ground is evident, but our desire to try to get there I think is there," Fisher said. "We still have a great deal of issues to work through, so there wont be any magic that will happen this weekend to just make those things go away, but we have to put the time in." The sides met for about four hours Wednesday, again in small groups. The full groups have met only once since the lockout began July 1, and it resulted in a setback. Players were prepared to make what union executive director Billy Hunter called a "significant" financial concession, but owners rejected their call to leave the current salary cap structure intact as a condition of the move. Deputy commissioner Adam Silver said it was time to go back to the larger groups again because "whatever decisions we are now going to be making would be so monumental given the point of the calendar that were at." Stern wouldnt comment on reports that owners had softened their insistence on a hard salary cap in favour of adding more restrictions to the current cap system that allows teams to exceed it through use of certain exceptions. Nor would he say if the season could still start on Nov. 1 without any preseason play. "I shouldnt deal with hypotheticals here," he said. "Im focused on lets get the two committees in and see whether they can either have a season or not have a season, and thats whats at risk this weekend." cheap jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '