A collaboration?

Need writing advice? Want to share works in progress? Look here!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i propose a name:

'the fhtagn files'
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

How's about a collection of knick-knacks related to an occurance of some sort? Witness sketches and statements, news reports or newspaper cuttings, etc?
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Jesus Prime wrote:How's about a collection of knick-knacks related to an occurance of some sort? Witness sketches and statements, news reports or newspaper cuttings, etc?
That sounds good. Probably what we need to do though is simply start throwing out ideas and see what raises the most enthusiasm. Anything at all that gets people thinking.

Some elements we could use:

Salvia Divinorum (a drug, about which there's been some controversy)
Internet conspiracy / cult / legend
Astronomical events (I'd have to think about this but the theory of panspermia is a good one--the idea of life arriving embedded in meteorites from a remote portion of the universe)
A bizarre unsolved crime

I'm sure there are a lot of other ideas and/or elaborations of those I've named. Let's hear them.
jolon
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by jolon »

Quick question here, do you guys (and gals) have my problem that as fast as you say coc everybody like magic wants to be librarians that can dash a 100 yards in 8seconds flat? Im thinking of a enviorment that is non coc but has this element as an nasty suprise. (the last time i tried coc everybody had by some strange coincidence 10 pounds of explosives, shotguns and an accurate insigt in african,arabic and irish mythos) btw nice forum. :)
Tentackel? What tentackel? AARRRGH!!!
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Hodgson wrote:Astronomical events (I'd have to think about this but the theory of panspermia is a good one--the idea of life arriving embedded in meteorites from a remote portion of the universe)
I like this one. Meteorites in the desert, rural folk describing the impact and whatnot, then build up suspense as it seems there's... something... out there...
jolon
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by jolon »

Jesus Prime wrote:
Hodgson wrote:Astronomical events (I'd have to think about this but the theory of panspermia is a good one--the idea of life arriving embedded in meteorites from a remote portion of the universe)
I like this one. Meteorites in the desert, rural folk describing the impact and whatnot, then build up suspense as it seems there's... something... out there...
In "today time" some inteligence tends to the fact that some inuits on greenland starts to be late for work and are being "slow" on a scale that is unprecedented, the workforce on the rigg is not up to standards, we banned alcohol a week ago but after that it has only detoriorated, send agents.
Or 1920 Send help stop mutiny stop local crew in rio "end of transmition"
Tentackel? What tentackel? AARRRGH!!!
Grendelvs
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Grendelvs »

if we were to do this in the traditional Lovecraft tradition, then it'd be mostly passive observation. *L* i mean, not a whole lot of HPL's characters did stuff about the things they'd find out, did they? even in COC, where the narrator is SURE he's a goner, all he does is write everything up and seal it in a box where maybe, hopefully, someone will read it.

as much as i disliked Derleth's ideas, he had a couple of honest-to-goodness protagonists.
Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

I was thinking more just a collection of stuff, reader draws the conclusions themselves.
Photos...some of normal stuff, others blurry, sketches and diagrams without explanations, newspaper clippings on various seemingly innocuous events, web links to sites about various things, diary pages, blogs, scraps of poetry, official reports ...that kind of thing. Like maybe files found on a bloodstained cd , gives it that cover-up angle.
I do like the panspermia idea. It's got the potential but it seems a bit lacking in direct mythos goodness.

Just what I was saying about the reader drawing their own conclusions...consider these 'unrelated' links together and it gets a bit disturbing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Jelly
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... eform.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 03,00.html
Last edited by Pinonomicon on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I agree with Pino...that rain looked like chocolate
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i like the idea of meat being cultivated independently of livestock.. what terrible gooey things could go wrong there? lots, i say.

also, we were talking about a disease in this other thread..

connect the two, and a scenario materializes: experimental hydroponic beef jerky is distributed to a select series of isolated markets, resulting in weird ailments and mutations in the locals. trace the chain of events back to some erudite scientific genius with a secret penchant for yog-sothothery, which he used to overcome some obstacle in the R&D process.

that's my pitch, bitch
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Pinonomicon wrote:I was thinking more just a collection of stuff, reader draws the conclusions themselves.
Photos...some of normal stuff, others blurry, sketches and diagrams without explanations, newspaper clippings on various seemingly innocuous events, web links to sites about various things, diary pages, blogs, scraps of poetry, official reports ...that kind of thing. Like maybe files found on a bloodstained cd , gives it that cover-up angle.
I do like the panspermia idea. It's got the potential but it seems a bit lacking in direct mythos goodness.

Just what I was saying about the reader drawing their own conclusions...consider these 'unrelated' links together and it gets a bit disturbing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Jelly
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... eform.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 03,00.html
The star jelly would dovetail well with the panspermia idea; the idea of the jelly as something living deposited by the meteorite or, more plausibly, a slime mold infected by a virus that was carried by the meteorite.

The same kind of connection could be made with the 2nd story.

The same with the 3rd (meteor burst/aerial algae; it could go either/both ways).

I don't know about the 4th; maybe we could use some kind of contamination angle.

Also, I don't see why these ideas couldn't be mythos. The mythos revolves around life-forms, no matter how alien. Some connection between ancient writings, or distorted descriptions found in legend could be connected to the lifeform, the virus, and how it appears in the present--like something that has fallen to earth before, or arrived on earth in the distant past in some already-mutated or matured form.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

JJ Burke wrote:also, we were talking about a disease in this other thread..
Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Yeah, we've had that one come up, it's funky.
Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Cool.