Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

Sequel to Mountains of Madness!

Post by Pickman »

A SEQUEL OVER 70 YEARS IN THE MAKING

please note: contains spoilers

In Bloody-disgusting.com's interview with author Tim Curran, he describes his upcoming novel Hive as a modern day sequel to H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness"; "Hive was supposed to be just a short story, a sequel of sorts to Lovecraft’s "At the Mountains of Madness"…well, then it became a novella and finally a full-blown novel. It's set in the present at an Antarctic research base on the eastern continental ice sheet. The characters are all modern people and the science is cutting edge. Basically, during the long South Pole winter, a field team discovers the ruins of the Old One's city in a sprawling subterranean network. They bring back some of the mummified aliens, too, and soon enough the entire base is having terrible nightmares and seeing weird apparitions. Men are found dead with their brains literally boiled out of their heads. The mummies are physically dead, but psychically andspiritually still very active. Dead, but dreaming, and our minds coming into contact with them reanimate those decayed minds and they begin to feed off us. That's a good part of the plot. The secondary plot is that at the station, a NASA-funded drilling team is cutting through the ice to a subsurface lake a mile below using cryobot technology (the very sort of technology NASA wants to use to penetrate the poles of Mars and the ice sheets of Europa and Callisto, Jupiter's moons). The lake itself has been cut-off from the world since glaciation of the continent 40 million years ago. Not only is the lake intriguing them, but a magnetic anomaly at the very bottom. Anyway, what's on the bottom of the lake and the dead minds of the Old Ones will come together to harvest/drain the psychic energy of the human race in order to open a dimensional gateway to let through not only a horde of Old Ones but a primal, living chaos that will destroy time and space as we know it."

The hardcover (from Elder Signs Press: http://www.eldersignspress.com/) is already sold out, and limited copies of the trade paperback are still available at Shocklines (http://store.yahoo.com/shocklines/index.html%20)...

Click here (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/features.php?id=96) for the full interview.

(Thanks to http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/)
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

After "The Thing" and the awful "AvP" it sounds a bit boring.
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
sabersword
Neophyte
Neophyte

Sequel

Post by sabersword »

Dude, this looks awsome. Cant remeber, is it avalabel in book stores?
robert fliss
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Rodr-Evil »

WOW this sounds really interesting, I hope it will be translated into Spanish.
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

re

Post by Erich Zann »

The title isn't so great. 'Hardboiled'?
"I saw no city spread below, and no friendly lights gleaming from remembered streets, but only the blackness of space illimitable; unimagined space alive with motion and music, and having no semblance of anything on earth."
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

they should have called it 'gumshoe cthulhu'
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I dont really think it will ever live up to the original...
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
Razakel
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Razakel »

I wouln't mind checking it out from the library but don't seem too interesting to me.
Ian Whateley
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Ian Whateley »

It sounds pretty much like a rehash of the half a million other "we thawed something out of the Arctic ice OH NO ITS EATING OUR BRAINS!" short stories and novels, both Lovecraftian and non-Lovecraftian, which have been abundant since the Old Man's death. And I also doubt it could be good enough to be called a real sequel to the original.

Although, that makes me wonder...after all, At the Mountains of Madness is written as a sequel to Poe's Arthur Gordon Pym, so I suppose one never knows...