"Essay - Rough Draft"

Discuss your work, and the work of the contributors to the Temple.

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

"Essay - Rough Draft"

Post by decadence »

The last line is a tip o the hat, Al...

No Current Title

We have all read and heard and seen. We have all debated, cried and raged. We have all lived and some of us have died, as the screws have grown ever-tighter. We have tasted sorrow, and the bile of revenge. We have bore witness to atrocity, and we have seen the brightest shining lights of humanity at his and her best. We are human beings.

What does this mean to you, living out your daily routine, eating hamburgers, making love to your wife, taking your son fishing or to play sports? What does this mean as you meander about, so passionate when you have an audience, yet totally oblivious when in your bed, reading a war novel? What does this mean, here and now, this life, that you believe you have the right to live because someone says you're safe now because of whatever measure?

How do you feel knowing that, no matter what our government, or any government, does for the good or ill of their nation(s), it will always, without fail, come crashing down at some point in the future? Every empire must fall. Rome fell, and when she did, it is safe to say quite a few heads were caught sleeping. Where will you be when your home is a bomb shelter? What will you tell your child(ren) when the booted, masked men come to the door because you said something in IHOP about current national fareign and domestic policy? How will you combat your worst fears about what a nation can succumb to, when those who have the firepower aim their "enemy of the state" guns at you and your family?

One thing that has always fascinated me, all my life, is how people can be so easily manipulated towards a cattle-herd view of a topic, with so little being said, or shown to them. The larger a group, the easier it is. People, on a base level, defer to whoever is the loudest, most intelligent, and most vicious. It is the natural order. The strong defer to the alpha and his or her ilk. People are taught in school that a male lion is some sort of king in his domain, yet it is the females of their species who bring the kills, direct the migration of a pride, and dictate the ley lines of power. Lions defer. We defer in a similar manner. Those with the most to lose, will often bow because they wish to maintain what little they have, at all costs.

When you think about that, at the most brutally honest level, what, in all honesty, are you protecting with your denial, hate, and violence? What are you accomplishing for your betterment? One more cheeseburger in the bag for Bob Jr.? Is this what life is? Is this how happiness is met, by completing the grand design to consume, at all costs, everything within reach, and therefore deny so fully the existence of your internal misery you cannot even believe its there?

I look around my country, both far from my doorstep and here at my building I live in. What I see are shattered beings. Sure, people are married and going to college, and have perhaps made it big in financial life. Sure, they have a home. Sure, they have their spouse, their dog named Spot, and their high speed internet in every room in their home. Sure, they have bright, witty children who they want to see grow up and......

What will you do, America, when you wake up and you are an enemy in your own home?

The time is near.
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

Rome fell, and when she did, it is safe to say quite a few heads were caught sleeping.
I’m pretty sure Rome had a long fall and most people saw it coming. I don’t think it was an overnight thing. Then again Roman history has always bored me, so I’m 100% sure.
child(ren)
you can just say children. It will be easier for parents with 2 or more kids and parents with only one will automatically convert children into child in their heads.
… said something in IHOP …
Depending on where this will be read you might want to change that to the International House of Pancakes. I don’t know how far spread IHOP is across the country or world. It might also be worthy to add in Dennys, Beckfords (I think that’s the name of it) or MacDonalds, etc., just to help recognition across the country/area.
People are taught in school that a male lion is some sort of king in his domain, yet it is the females of their species who bring the kills, direct the migration of a pride, and dictate the ley lines of power. Lions defer.

I don’t see how lions defer based on those sentences. Nor do I see the relevance of the lion thing.
Is this how happiness is met, by completing the grand design to consume, at all costs, everything within reach, and therefore deny so fully the existence of your internal misery you cannot even believe its there?
umm, what?
What will you do, America, when you wake up and you are an enemy in your own home?

The time is near.
This is almost completely out of the blue.

I don’t really understand what this is about, I’m guessing it’s an anti-government thing of some degree or another. You’ll want to clear that up.

</my thoughts>
"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it." ~ Caesar
[America] [Scotland] ||| The Truth will stand when the World is on fire.
JJ Burke
Old One

Re: "Essay - Rough Draft"

Post by JJ Burke »

decadence wrote:People, on a base level, defer to whoever is the loudest, most intelligent, and most vicious.
i'd say 'most intelligent' is a matter of coerced opinion. loud and vicious people often intimidate others, and genuine intelligence (ie. critical thinking, non-partisan secular humanism) is usually drowned in the noise of people yelling and whining.

i'd say this is closer to a rant than a formal essay. stream-of-consciousnessness

maybe someday aleister will come back to us... the forsaken
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

JJ Burke wrote:maybe someday aleister will come back to us... the forsaken
Poor Al. Probably eaten by mooses. Meese. Whatever.
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

What happens if one day he just stops paying the bills and the Temple is taken offline? We should have a back up forum.

(topic hijack!)
"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it." ~ Caesar
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Enkil wrote:What happens if one day he just stops paying the bills and the Temple is taken offline? We should have a back up forum.

(topic hijack!)
Our telepathic prefrontal lobes are our backup forum.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

JJ Burke wrote:
decadence wrote:People, on a base level, defer to whoever is the loudest, most intelligent, and most vicious.
i'd say 'most intelligent' is a matter of coerced opinion. loud and vicious people often intimidate others, and genuine intelligence (ie. critical thinking, non-partisan secular humanism) is usually drowned in the noise of people yelling and whining.

i'd say this is closer to a rant than a formal essay. stream-of-consciousnessness

maybe someday aleister will come back to us... the forsaken
Loud and vicious have more than one literal meaning in daily life :wink:

I appreciate the feedback you guys! :-D
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

Hodgson wrote:
JJ Burke wrote:maybe someday aleister will come back to us... the forsaken
Poor Al. Probably eaten by mooses. Meese. Whatever.
He's on, just doesn't post :wink:
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Rodr-Evil »

I like it.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

decadence wrote:He's on, just doesn't post :wink:
i don't know how to feel about that :|
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

It doesn't really matter.
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

I still don't understand it's aim.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

It has no aim but to make people think.
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

Think about what? That someday I'll be sitting in IHOP and I'll say "Bush is teh suxzorz" and a bunch of Secret Service guys will come crashing through the windows from Black Hawk helicopters and arrest me? Not gonna happen, sorry.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

Your sarcasm is funny but needless. And no.