Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners Of the Earth for the PC

General Topics and Introductions

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

odin2
Shadow Out Of Time

Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners Of the Earth for the PC

Post by odin2 »

I just bought Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of the Earth, for the computer, checked to see if my computer could handle it and the box said it would...
So I drop the $20 and take it home and install it.
I start it up and it says,

Failed To Find Suitable Video Setting
So I log onto the games web site and check out the forums.
I then find out that the game does this on almost all computers there is no way to fix it, and the company who make the game have gone bankrupt!!

So just a warning to any one thinking about buying this game....Don't!
Just stick to the XBox if you have it...( I don't :cry: )
"I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"
~~H.P.Lovecraft~~
IMDB wrote: in the event of a zombie apocalypse, or the return of Cthulu, be near a Wal-Mart!
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

Hmm...Runs fine on mine...
odin2
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by odin2 »

What videocard do you use?
"I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"
~~H.P.Lovecraft~~
IMDB wrote: in the event of a zombie apocalypse, or the return of Cthulu, be near a Wal-Mart!
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

what???? the company who made dark corners of the earth is no more???? then we wont be able toplay Call of Cthulhu: Beyond the Mountains of Madness
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

odin2 wrote:What videocard do you use?
I have 2 of these, linked through sli....

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ ... hp?UID=715
Eidolon
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Eidolon »

Runs fine on mine. I just fucked it up bad at the ending.
SI SIBI MONVMENTVM REQVIRES, CIRVUMSPICE
Sicky666
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Sicky666 »

the game runs perfectly fine. Also noticed (already years ago) that the company doesnt exist anymore. It doesnt quite matter, the game is to my opinion a bit too old for these times.
The viper enpoisoned my mind,
but there was nothing inside.
A black hole, a void;
temporary filling for the chaotic Lord.
Gothmog
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Gothmog »

It runs just fine on my system too, I know off hand that the Geforce 4mx isn't supported, as there were a load of complaints concerning this issue on the official site. I had a few graphical glitches with my Geforce 6800GT, which turned out to be driver issues, but other than that, it was fine.

I can't say why your card won't work, though the game is fairly loaded with bugs because it was ported from Xbox to PC by a single member of Headfirst Productions. We wouldn't even have a PC version were it not for him. Good luck with that, and if I see a solution on my travels, I'll post it. :)
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Rodr-Evil »

in www.angernet.org I found the game FREE for download... so I will play and soon I give my opinion!
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Re: Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners Of the Earth for the PC

Post by Rodr-Evil »

odin2 wrote:I just bought Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of the Earth, for the computer, checked to see if my computer could handle it and the box said it would...
So I drop the $20 and take it home and install it.
I start it up and it says,

Failed To Find Suitable Video Setting
So I log onto the games web site and check out the forums.
I then find out that the game does this on almost all computers there is no way to fix it, and the company who make the game have gone bankrupt!!

So just a warning to any one thinking about buying this game....Don't!
Just stick to the XBox if you have it...( I don't :cry: )
the same happens to me :( hey odin2 you fix the problem??
neonchris
Librarian
Librarian

Call Of Cthulhu - Dark Corners Of The Earth

Post by neonchris »

Hey, I'm currently playing "Call Of Cthulhu - dark corners of th earth" on my weedy - ass PC and I'm thinking that it's one of the best translations of the great man's work altogether. The music and general atmospherics are pitched exactly right, it's very faithful to the story "the shadow over innsmouth" (so far) and there are a few really clever ideas (such as the abscence of a heads-up-display, the growing effects of insanity, the damage screen and the effects of the morphine) which really enhance not only the gameplay but directly enrich the lovecraftian "vibe".

I was really impressed by the rendering of innsmouth, when I first got off the bus there and had a wander around, it was just like being immersed in the story - someone had obviously read very closely and between the lines.

The only problem I have with the game so far is not a problem as such, but inevitable - that if you're as big a Lovecraft fan as me, then you know what's going on and you can predict the next part of the story. If you had never read lovecraft or seen the movie DAGON, I can see DCOTE being an amazing portal from which to enter the world of the mythos.

I sincerely hope the company didn't go bust.... I'm already looking forwards to a sequal and I havn't even scratched the surface of this one....