Typhon / spirit of evil

Need writing advice? Want to share works in progress? Look here!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Typhon / spirit of evil

Post by Erich Zann »

Typhon / spirit of evil

Madness is a living that makes all life
Darkness is a place where we all hide
Reality is a god lost in its own mind
Typhon lord of humankind

Oozing from the pits of hell hideous peals roar
Insane creations creep into your mind
Aliens of terror descend upon the earth
Devour humankind!

Spirit of evil lord of humankind begetter of darkness
Death unto the light!
Spirit of terror tearing at your eyes
Unholy sonic waves sweeping through your mind
Spirit of pain annihilating life
Spewing forth nightmare the spirit of evil!

Witches breed with the demons of light
Dipping the sun in blood
Black magic rites invoke legions of lunacy
Dipping god's mind in hell

Monsters of madness possessing humankind
Evil eating love mutilating life
Divine incarnations screaming out to die
Battered by the lords of pure hate

Burning furies racing across the sky
Tear open the walls of reality
Poison god's mind

Typhon!

A lyrical written in 2002 for a death metal recording project. Inspired by the devil card (Typhon) in an egyptian tarot deck I love to use.
"I saw no city spread below, and no friendly lights gleaming from remembered streets, but only the blackness of space illimitable; unimagined space alive with motion and music, and having no semblance of anything on earth."
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I refuse to listen to any death metal that doesn't feature things being killed in a horribly gory manner. As you could guess, I love Cannibal Corpse and Carcass.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Erich Zann »

Jesus Prime wrote:I refuse to listen to any death metal that doesn't feature things being killed in a horribly gory manner. As you could guess, I love Cannibal Corpse and Carcass.
Old Carcass is awesome stuff! if ya wanna hear this song just click here http://www.myspace.com/themindparasites
"I saw no city spread below, and no friendly lights gleaming from remembered streets, but only the blackness of space illimitable; unimagined space alive with motion and music, and having no semblance of anything on earth."
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Sounds quite spaced out to begin with.
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Erich Zann »

Jesus Prime wrote:Sounds quite spaced out to begin with.
Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious filtering and streaming in.
neonchris
Librarian
Librarian

Post by neonchris »

I think I know the tarot you're using. Does it have the fool replaced with an altogether more sinister and bleak picture called "the crocodile"...?... and "typhon" is a huge bloated manifestation with a pigs head carrying a smoky torch across the scene of destruction?

Personally, I like Crowley's Thoth deck best... the devil card in that pack is remarkable too, kind of a huge phallus and a goat.

Good lyrics... I can't stand metal music I'm afraid so I can't say I sponser the idea of having someone deliver them in the style of the cookie monster!
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Erich Zann »

neonchris,

Typhon is the devil card with a crocodiles head with a horn above the nose, a hippo body, with cloven hooves, bat wings all green with a flame above its head.

The crocodile card has a human form walking blindly into danger (a crocodile's gaping maw) and is the fool card.

I also have the Crowley deck with The Book
Of Thoth companion guide and I enjoy using it as well, but it's not as direct with it's interpretations, so I use my Ibis Tarot deck as my master deck.

And dude when interpretating monstrous ideology, singing normally dose'nt deliver the whole picture, therefore heavy singing (or monstrous roars and insane screaming) are really the only means of completely delivering the monster metal experience. And for those of us who love monsters...

Death Metal is something I record namely as an old times sake (nostalgic), for it was how I learned to compose songs in my teens, and is by no means what I regard as music that will ever be more than creative amusement to me. I am much more adamant about my experimental/psychedelic/rock, something along the lines of Donovan meets King Crimson, which I've entitled Mushroom Tea Stories.

If you'd like to check it out just hit this link:

http://www.myspace.com/mushroomteastories

Another thing about my appraoch to death metal. What I consider death metal and what is regarded as death metal today are two entirely different styles of music. When I refer to death metal I'm referring to bands like early Death rehearsals (they never really delivered as raw on their professional releases), Hellhammer, Venom, old Bathory, Of Cabbages And Kings, these bands released their debuts in 1980-1983 and with this totally new style of heavy extremism coupled with imaginative lyrics, you would'nt have all these cookie cutter (sound alike w/ mono-tone grunting) bands today, which personally I don't listen too (in fact most of the commercial music of today is straight off the press of the cookie cutter recording industry). I'm all for individual artistic contribution. Find yourself, apply yourself, and deliver truly original art.

It's all good, but if you don't understand or appreciate originality (and Lovecraft would be with me on this one), your just lost in the herd, mindlessly striving for acceptance.
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Erich Zann »

neonchris,

Good lyrics... I can't stand metal music I'm afraid so I can't say I sponser the idea of having someone deliver them in the style of the cookie monster

Oh, ah... and by the way forgot to mention that, COOKIE MONSTER RULES!
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

:lol: cookie monster could totally sing death metal
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Eidolon
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Eidolon »

Neither Bathory nor Venom were death metal. :D
SI SIBI MONVMENTVM REQVIRES, CIRVUMSPICE
Erich Zann
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Erich Zann »

Eidolon,

Ah, yes they were. The reason you probably don't think so is because they were some of the founding bands for death metal. Venom in a musically evil way and Bathory, well it should be obvious by Quorthon's singing and the song structures.

These were a few of the first satanic / death metal bands to record this kind of music and back then that's how we referred to some of these bands as well long before the commercial coin was opted. Venom's: Buried Alive track from their second LP Black Metal 82' The title of that album also coined the term for the same genre, but that does not mean all their music was strictly Black Metal. Bathory's heaviness and demonic / screaming vocals inspired bands like Death. Death was in fact the band which inspired what YOU are considering Death Metal. But Death came out 3 or 4 years after all these bands like Hellhammer which became Celtic Frost and Kreator's (Pleasure To Kill LP) which were also inspirations to bands which you are probably referring to like, Morbid Angel (one of the only later Death Metal bands with any originality) Necrovore (another original and one of the first Death Metal bands along with Death and Morbid Angel) Carcass, and Terrorizer. Then Cannibal Corpse, Grave, Necrophagia, etc. which came out around 89' into the 90s. And as far as Death Metal today most metal bands today come right off the recording industries cookie cutting press'. Bundled, packaged, and promoted with dollar figures in mind only. And like with most forms of artistic output, most of these bands sound the same, rarely does one find originality (I'm talking ORIGINALITY) between bands of similar styles of expression.

I was there buying these albums since 1980 and watched the birth of what is coined Death Metal grow into what you see today.

And another thing about the satanic / speed / thrash / black / death / doom metal scenes beginnings back in 1981. The musical output from these bands was totally original and unheard before. They founded a new musical direction and it was so awesome waiting for Venom's / Destruction's / Bathory's / Cetlic Frost's / Voivod's / Dark Angel's / Of Cabbages & King's / Slayer's / Possessed's / Sodom's and so on next albums. It was indeed a new movement and these bands were completely original especially between themselves. They just did not sound anything like one another.

If you were referring to what is considered Death Metal today these bands I'm describing founded it.
Last edited by Erich Zann on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eidolon
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Eidolon »

No, I was actually saying it would be more accurate to describe Bathory and Venom as proto-BLACK metal bands. When I listen to Venom, I can definitely see how they influenced the later thrash/extreme developments; however, I think Death etc. took more inspiration from Bay Area thrash acts than the scandinavian acts. Listen to Bathory; any Bathory. Then listen to a Celtic Frost album, and then listen to an early Mayhem/Darkthrone/Emperor album. Then repeat the process, listening first to Bathory, then to CF, then to Death. Pay particular attention to the guitars, as I think that its the instrumentation that separates BM from Death metal. Some of Death's songs, in my opinion (IE 'The Philosopher') sound like the retarded younger brother of 'Kill Em All'. Boring. Its easy to determine a chain of causality from Bathory/Venom/CF to the FWNBM. However, I am still slightly skeptical of Bathory's direct influence on the evolution of Death metal.
SI SIBI MONVMENTVM REQVIRES, CIRVUMSPICE
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I think the fact that the genre of 'black metal' takes its name from a Venom album proves it...
But were Death not part of the Bay Area scene? I figured Chuck just played heavier than the thrash acts, but took his inspiration from the same places.
As for 'death metal' as a genre, it really evolved from a completely different animal. The big death metal bands - Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, etc - are English, and would have found their inspiration more from a hybrid of Black Sabbath's dark imagery with Motorhead's intensity. Try telling me Lemmy didn't have anything to do with it...
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

black metal and death metal are for wimps. you need to get into the hardcore shredded bubonic fajita metal of bands like
• rectal prolapse inc.
• bash grandma with an axe handle
• johnny septum and the mucus membranes
• n*sync
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
odin2
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by odin2 »

Bash grandma with an axe handle, I don't think she would like that....But hey you never can tell...

I made Primordial Evil before you, Burke!!!!
"I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"
~~H.P.Lovecraft~~
IMDB wrote: in the event of a zombie apocalypse, or the return of Cthulu, be near a Wal-Mart!