Getting Published

Discuss your work, and the work of the contributors to the Temple.

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting Published

Post by Aleister »

Several of you have asked me what the chances are of Arkham House taking intrest in your work. I do not know if anyone from Arkham House goes out 'scouting' (so to speak) for new authors, but I do know they are aware of the site.

I am going to try to get an answer from them regarding this. I will post back here when I get a response.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

:D
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Nifty :D
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I have received a response back from Arkham House on the issue of new authors.

Lately they have been focusing on the older, out-of-print or not yet published long-time writers. Historically they have not had much success (sadly) with new authors, even if quite good.

Like many publishing companies, they have their work planned out for several years. They are currently booking material into 2008.

The best (and currently the only) way to try to get published with Arkham House is to follow these instructions:

ARKHAM HOUSE - SUBMITTING MANUSCRIPTS:

DO NOT SUBMIT ARTWORK OR MANUSCRIPTS VIA EMAIL AS THEY ARE NOT REVIEWED.

Please submit a synopsis of your manuscript to: PO Box 546, Sauk City, WI 53583. Do not make submissions via email. Arkham House does not return submissions and we do not acknowledge that we have received your manuscript.. The only time a prospective author would hear from us is if we are interested in publishing your work.

To summarize, Arkham House generally does not publish the work of "new" writers. There are, however, many publishing companies out there in the horror genre. I may see what I can do about getting similar instructions from other publishers, to give new writers some tips on where to go.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

I am publishing writers, got a few from the temple of dagon roster for an anthology I am putting together of Horror And Sci-Fi writers. I am putting the anthology out on lulu.com, off the momentum I am getting off this site alone and on The House of Pain. The progress on my anthology I am putting together is that I am at 108 pages -- trying to see if I can hit the 200 page mark before sending it off. And if there is anyone interested in doing the cover art let me know. I want to make this rival one of the other anthologies out there. My stories "Lake Fossil" and "The Statue" are going to be part of this one. The second one is inspired by Rod Serling -- did it inspired from Twilight Zone fanfiction.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

Maybe some time in the future ToD would release an anthology by itself, featuring its writers and the artists doing covers and illustrations? It would be great in my opinion. "Tales from the Temple of Dagon" or something like that :P
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Well I have a novella/short story collection coming out via PHD Publishing in the autumn. I shall be of course mentioning Temple of Dagon in my bio/thank yous. If it sells this publisher could be a source of outlet for our stories.
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Adrian: A ToD anthology would be a great idea for the future. If I get in the habit of drawing again I might even want to toss some things in. (Nevermind the horrible Lovecraft portrait I had up here a while back lol).

Lagwolf: Nice work! Mentioning the site would be very nice. I will be sure to add a special mention for you as well on the main page. Give me the details when it is close to coming out!
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

This brings up that Book Section thing ToD might have in the future: many of us are releasing or have released their books or anthologies and printings. The site could feature their work in a special section with reviews and so on. Links to the places you can purchase them etc. ?
That would show visitors we mean business :twisted:
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I would certainly be up for that :)
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

I am just written my "thank yous" and you get a mention. I will make sure to mention this site in any publicity.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

The anthology I am compiling will have Adrian and Andrew in there. Their talents are two that will be recognized in this horror and Sci-Fi guantlet. I am trying to get a graphic artist in there to design the cover for the book -- the trim of the thing will be 5.5 by 8.5, looking at about 220 pages right now if I was to release it now but I want to make sure everything is put together. Temple of Dagon is mentioned on my biography in The House of Pain and will be mentioned on my biography on the anthology I am going to be featured in with a story.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

The anthology I am compiling will have Adrian and Andrew in there. Their talents are two that will be recognized in this horror and Sci-Fi guantlet.
Of which I am very grateful to Nickolaus. I hope I will do honour to the anthology.
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Look forward to seeing it.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

I got a few artists now emailing me including Aleister. Al I will send you what I have so far with the anthology -- four stories in the collection are Cthulhu Mythos; and the others range in horror styles of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Rod Serling, to Sci-fi tappings of Phillip K. Dick, Asimov, and Crichton. I want to get a team of maverick artists in the collection for the thing. I got a few from The House of Pain on there now -- I became co-editor of the website too now.

I am building off the momentum of being published on Reality Check. This is an anthology I am doing as an accompanyment to Reality Check. Temple of Dagon is mentioned on my bio in the anthology -- Bite of the Spider is mythos tinged. But I am going to be linking up the story that almost got in that one -- a lot of controversy of what happend of when the story got bounced so I wrote this new one.

This is the story that almost got in-- House of Spiders. This is one story that a few readers on AuthorsDen compared to Stephen King's IT.

This one is my Lovecraftian roots showing in a strong way but more character driven. Aleister if you want to add a link to this one on the section you have for me here -- go for it. That is why I am dropping the link.