Brian Lumley

Music, Art, Movies - Let us know!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

neonchris
Librarian
Librarian

Post by neonchris »

Double Yuggoth wrote:Lumley purposely tried to make his stuff more action based than Lovecraft. He wrote somewhere that he couldn't stand to have all his characters fainting.

I agree some of his stuff isn't that great, but "Return of the Deep Ones" is awesome. While not really Mythos, the short story "Snarker's Son" is wonderfully creepy.
I just finished "return of the deep ones" - I think that Lumley's strength is his plots which are indeed carried along by the action elements. All of his stories that I've read would for this reason probably make better films than Lovecraft's core work. My only issue with Lumley is his dialogue - all of his characters, young, old and no matter where they're from all sound like geordies (!) not that there's anything wrong with geordies per say, but it's not convincing and is at odds with the suspension of belief which is already stretched in anything mythos related by definition. It all gets a bit Ant & Dec/Byker Grove... "spuggy! there's a shoggoth in the grove! - go get Geoff!"
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED