Brian Lumley

Music, Art, Movies - Let us know!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

Aleister wrote:Thanks for the info :) I will probably eventually at least check out the first one.. but Titus first..
My problem with Lumley as a mythos author is that he's one of those fan writers that exchanges atmosphere and originality for name dropping. I think he relies too much on what the reader already knows about famous mythos icons as a means to raise a sense of horror, instead of giving proper attention to atmosphere.

It's worse in Titus Crap, where Lumley definitely removes a key element of good mythos horror, the protagonist struggling with the unknown.
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Alot of mythos writers do this, I hope I am not one. It is very easy to slip into a "knowing style of writing." It is creative laziness.
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

Very true, Lagwolf.
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
The Ziggurat
Occultist
Occultist

Post by The Ziggurat »

E.A. Lovecraft wrote:
Aleister wrote:Thanks for the info :) I will probably eventually at least check out the first one.. but Titus first..
My problem with Lumley as a mythos author is that he's one of those fan writers that exchanges atmosphere and originality for name dropping. I think he relies too much on what the reader already knows about famous mythos icons as a means to raise a sense of horror, instead of giving proper attention to atmosphere.

It's worse in Titus Crap, where Lumley definitely removes a key element of good mythos horror, the protagonist struggling with the unknown.
now i do agree with that partly.
if someone were to pick up titus without knowing the mythos already...they would be utterly lost.

but if you know your mythos stuff, i think it is absolutly wonderful.
Currently Touring.
www.theziggurat.org
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I never knew I would stir up such a debate with this. :)

I still will give it a chance I suppose. I doubt there has ever been an author that was liked by 100% of the readers.

Plus, Lovecraft fans are seemingly pessimistic, since they no that no one else can compare to him anyway *grin*
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

Aleister wrote:I still will give it a chance I suppose. I doubt there has ever been an author that was liked by 100% of the readers.
It's the only way you're going to know.

Now that I've thought about it a little longer, I think what frustrates me most about Lumley is that he probably has the ability to write (judging by the narrative skill he exhibits in the first Necroscope books) some of the greatest mythos tales of all time, but fails miserably (IMO).
Aleister wrote:Plus, Lovecraft fans are seemingly pessimistic, since they no that no one else can compare to him anyway *grin*
You think so? I've always been amazed at how eager Lovecraft fans are to snap up anything mythos related. :shock:
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I think that is a different issue..

I do not think anyone comes close to Lovecraft, BUT I am at least interested in anything even slightly Lovecraft/Mythos related. Not neccesarily because it is true to it, or always even good, but just because it is somehow connected.

Even though someones book or story or artwork is a complete mockery of Lovecraft, it at least lets you know that more and more people know about him, albiet slightly..

Well.. forget that last paragraph.. I am just slightly Lovecraft obsessed, so anything is at least fairly cool by association ;)
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Rodr-Evil »

It does about 9 years I read "The Burrowers Beneath" and although the style is not very lovecraft, the narration manages to catch somehow. For me is a fine author, maybe a little bit explicit but fine.
Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

I read his vampire stuff which does have Lovecraftian elements, and I thought it was excellant if a little unfaithful to the vampire tradition ( which I assume would be the case with his mythos stuff too) I would probably read his Mythos stuff if I came across it, but I've only seen a collection called 'Dagon's Bell' which was gone from the store the next day. Oh well.
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Rodr-Evil »

hey pinonomicon, those are the necromantic chronicles?
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

You would make a horrible father.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

Say what now?
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Wow, wrong thread.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

how many message boards are you on at once?
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Rodr-Evil
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Rodr-Evil »

on topic, how much books of titus crow exist? any web of BL?