Enjoy/play blu ray on mac with vlc

Discuss your work, and the work of the contributors to the Temple.

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

nandecuo1
Librarian
Librarian

Post by nandecuo1 »

Anyone figured out a way playing Blu-ray on Mac? I had been looking for a best way for Mac blu-ray playback for a week, but it seems not yet any software manufacturers have developed a professional Blu-ray player for Mac OS like the PowerDVD for Windows. Finally I managed to find a compromised way - rip Blu-ray movie to Mac HDD and play Blu-ray from Mac hard drive. What I did:

1) Rip Blu-ray to Mac HDD with a new released Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac ripper. I must say it’s the best blu-ray ripping tool I’ve tested. There are few Blu-ray ripper tools for Mac OS, and fewer works well. But this is one of them. It is simple of use- one click to load BD, and another to export lossless movie- the file is huge and you’ll want a shrink. You can remove the audio and subtitles you don’t want, or compress a Blu-ray to 720p or other size. Download a trial from here if you’d give it a shoot. It can copy 7 discs before stop working.

2) Play Blu-ray with VLC player. I knew VLC is good, but had not expected it such a good player for bluray playback. It plays bluray with no hassle, of course. And do let you choose audio language and subtitles you like. In fact, I like this part best.

And here is a detailed guide for playing blu-ray on Mac with VLC player, not written by me- it’s from Pavtube:

http://www.pavtube.com/guide/play-bluray-MKV-in-mac-vlc-with-selected-audios-subs.html

P.S. Anyone know any Blu-ray player software for Mac? I mean player, not ripper. I hate firmware update.