At The Mountains Of Madness by Jackson?

Official forum for Unfilmable.com - film adaptations of H P Lovecraft

Moderators: mgmirkin, Pickman, Moderators

Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

At The Mountains Of Madness by Jackson?

Post by Adrian »

Has any new info leaked about it yet? It was a rumor some time ago and Jackson also said in an interview about making a 'cosmic horror movie'. Anyone heard anything new?
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
tsathoguah
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by tsathoguah »

Nah ... i think that Jackson will follow the steps of S.Raimi and will be making movies like lotr and king kong from now on
Despite my ghoulish reputation, i really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk...!
-Robert Bloch-
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

I don't remember where, but I did just read something about WETA being involved with the sfx. Sounded like it was just a possibility, not set in stone.
shonokin
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by shonokin »

Jackson is producing Halo, which Del Toro is directing. Halo has pushed back production on Hellboy 2 and so it would follow it's pushing ATMOM back even further. Dreamworks was set to produce the property but since the liveaction (as opposed to Dreamworks animation) has been bought, who knows what fate lies in store for any of their current properties.
Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by Pickman »

Here's the latest info I've come across on del Toro's Mountains of Madness and Tim Curran's HIVE:

January 15: Hive and Madness news!

While looking through the Elder Signs Press forum, I ran across an old post from Hive author Tim Curran that contained news on both the Hive movie production and Guillermo del Toro's adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness! According to Tim, Hive was under consideration by several production companies as well as a couple of producers who've worked for the SciFi Channel. One such company (Vertigo, producers of The Ring and The Grudge) backed off because of a conflict of interest with Guillermo del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness project. He went on to say that Dreamworks isn't interested in doing a period (1930's) version of Madness because of the expense, and would rather do a modern retelling (del Toro has said that he would not be involved in a modernized version of the story). Accordingly, Hive could end of being a possible alternative to using Lovecraft's original novella...

I hope to have an update from the author soon!

(Thanks to http://www.eldersignspress.com/ and Tim Curran)

Craig
Jehar
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Jehar »

Oddly enough, movies keeping the same timeframe as Lovecraft's stories are few and far between, which is bad enough, considering the quality of the bulk of these films. A 1920's Lovecraft film would be *highly* appreciated Another modern adaptation holds no real appeal for me, though I'm sure Jackson, if he chose to take it, could turn it into gold, regardless.
Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by Pickman »

Unfortunately this isn't Jackson's film to make...

Jackson, if he were involved with the project, would at most be a producer and probably handle the FX (through WETA). There's no way del Toro will make it if it's modernized though, and Jackson wouldn't take over the project without del Toro's approval...

The only reason anyone thinks Jackson will be involved to begin with is because he wants del Toro to direct HALO, and that the experience would probably start a lasting partnership...

Take care,

Craig