A collaboration?

Need writing advice? Want to share works in progress? Look here!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Jesus Prime

A collaboration?

Post by Jesus Prime »

An idea has just come to me for a nice piece of Mythos fiction for the site's public archives. In the vein of 'The Call of Cthulhu', I figure that we collaborate on a story concerning someone unearthing evidence about some entity/happening/place/race/et cetera. However, the twist comes into it when, rather than cowritng the whole thing, we get people to each write the pieces of evidence and corroboration used in the tale - someone could come up with newspaper clippings, write about an idol/statue/painting/so on used, a diary or log, eye witness accounts, and so on. Then, whoever it is appointed to edit the final piece can fill it in with the narrator's perspective. Might seem a bit of a pastiche, or a complete jumble (or both, if we're really unlucky), but if we hammer out a basic outline first, it could end up being somehting to be really proud of.
Last edited by Jesus Prime on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

A collaboration?

Post by nortonew »

Actually, it might be interesting if all the writers played some sort of online version of the Call of the Cthulhu game, each one playing a different character and writing a narrative from that character's viewpoint.

We'ld just need to find a good gamemaster.
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Interesting idea (the collaboration) but I am not interested in participating. An online CoC game would be most interesting that is for sure. Finding a decent GM would be a right bugger though.
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

I'm game if this gets going.
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I'd be up for the Call of Cthulhu game if I could get a hold of the rules anywhere, but Norn Irn's not known for its role-playing community.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Nicodemus Whateley
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Nicodemus Whateley »

Lagwolf wrote:Interesting idea (the collaboration) but I am not interested in participating. An online CoC game would be most interesting that is for sure. Finding a decent GM would be a right bugger though.
Define "decent". And what would you like this GM to do?
John Goodrich
Nicodemus Whateley's Evil Twin
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

CoC requires a good GM if it is to work. He has to the imagination and talent to make it seem as real as possible. CoC is all about dread...with no dread its nothing.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

I just got done doing a huge collaboration and burnt out -- trying to wait before I collaborate again with a few writers, now I am going to once again with a few who've sent me their stories. Just trying to figure out either give it a Mythos or a Sci-Fi / Horror slant. I got a story I sent to http://www.GUDmagazine.com and see what happens from there.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Re: A collaboration?

Post by Hodgson »

Jesus Prime wrote:An idea has just come to me for a nice piece of Mythos fiction for the site's public archives. In the vein of 'The Call of Cthulhu', I figure that we collaborate on a story concerning someone unearthing evidence about some entity/happening/place/race/et cetera. However, the twist comes into it when, rather than cowritng the whole thing, we get people to each write the pieces of evidence and corroboration used in the tale - someone could come up with newspaper clippings, write about an idol/statue/painting/so on used, a diary or log, eye witness accounts, and so on. Then, whoever it is appointed to edit the final piece can fill it in with the narrator's perspective. Might seem a bit of a pastiche, or a complete jumble (or both, if we're really unlucky), but if we hammer out a basic outline first, it could end up being somehting to be really proud of.
Is this something you're still interested in? I'm tied up in a longer project probably through the end of the year, but January should see me free to devote a little time to a side-project.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i can also get involved, if this ever actually happens..
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Grendelvs
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Grendelvs »

i think i'd like to try my hand at evidence fabrication, as well.

shit, i do it at work enough when maintenance comes due at the end of the month.

(kidding.)

(kinda)

er...yeah. in!
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

still up for it..... .... ... .. .
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Well, I'm still in the final draft of something else, but I don't see why we can't get started talking about it, throw a few ideas around.

What's going to be the backbone of this story? I've read the first post, but I mean more in particular. Is this literally a Cthulhu story, or Azathoth/Nyarlathotep, or something else?
Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

Maybe it could include eye-witness sketches, faked photos etc? I'd be up for a bit of that.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Pinonomicon wrote:Maybe it could include eye-witness sketches, faked photos etc? I'd be up for a bit of that.
Yeah, I don't see why it couldn't include anything that can be posted online, including recordings. None of the files would have to be very large and we could post in several formats linked from the central document.

Also, I wonder if we want to present this as a fiction-style narrative or as non-fiction, or as a bit of both--maybe like a thesis gone horribly wrong. . . .