Official forum for Unfilmable.com - film adaptations of H P Lovecraft

Moderators: mgmirkin, Pickman, Moderators

Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

What was your first Lovecraft film?

Post by Pickman »

Hello all,

Just wondering what the first Lovecraft based film was that you remember seeing (and when)? Also, was it your introduction to Lovecraft, or had you been reading (or at least heard of) Lovecraft before that?

How does the film rank/rate with the films you've seen since?

My answers are coming soon! :)

Take care,

Craig
http://www.unfilmable.com
H.P. Lovecraft Cinema
http://www.unfilmable.com/unfilmable_films.html
Unfilmable Films presents: Read me a story...

"It is not likely that any really finely wrought weird story - where so much depends upon mood, and on nuances of description - could be changed to a drama without irreparable cheapening and the loss of all that gave it power."

- H.P. Lovecraft
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I really think the first time I heard of Lovecraft may have been an old Night Gallery episode. 'Professor Peabodys Last Lecture'. Even though I did not really think much of the names etc.. at the time.. I always remembered it once I found out who he was.
dementia13
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by dementia13 »

"The Dunwich Horror". Remember it? Me either. The only thing I remember about it was how ridiculous it was that they were running ads for weight loss products during this movie: you've got all this devilish stuff going on, and then the ad for "Figurines" breaks in.
Anyway, I had read the story, and my dad had a paperback "Lurking Fear" anthology from the mid '70s. That's what got me started down this path...
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I only recently (maybe within the last year) watched the Dunwich Horror. I have it on my PC right now. I used it to write this summary:

http://www.templeofdagon.com/mythos/fil ... horror.htm

There are a couple other summaries of mythos movies on there.. I think I got discouraged though since I saw some good sites (you know who you are) with such a huge volume of film info ;)

It was a very interesting movie.
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

dementia13 wrote:"The Dunwich Horror". Remember it? Me either.
lol, well said.

I think Professor Peabody's Last Lecture was my first encounter with HPL on screen, but I can't remember if I read Lovecraft before or after I saw that episode. The first feature-length movie I saw was From Beyond.

It's all been downhill from there.
Dead Eric
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Dead Eric »

My movie intro came kind of late. I had been reading Lovecraft since my early teens, but I did not see a movie until i saw Re-animator. My reaction was damn that was a cool movie but man it had so little to do with Lovecraft. It sure is a fun movie.