RP-related questions

CthulhuMud Discussion

Moderators: mgmirkin, Bast, Quanqued, Moderators

Calhoun
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

RP-related questions

Post by Calhoun »

I'm having trouble maintaining a believable character in some of the more unrealistic settings of the MUD. For example, I can see a monster, maybe kill it, and work that into my RP--I can act confused, frightened, nervous, etc.. But what about those mobs that are good for exp, like professors? I can't just say "they were all evil and had to be destroyed." And how should I react when they repop? "My god! The evil history professor has come back to life! Again!"

Also, my character is a Southerner, and therefore would most realistically be a Christian. How should I reconcile that with his worship of Quanqued?
nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by nortonew »

If you really want to authentically RP, you should probably forego killing certain creatures, no matter how much exp you get for them.

I managed to get a character above lvl 100 without ever killing a professor. Look around, there are plenty of nasty things to get exp from.

I lived down in Tennessee for awhile. While there is a distressingly high concentration of fundamentalists in the south, (aka the bible belt), I was able to find a few pagans - especially in college towns.
Benedict
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Benedict »

Well, now... Don't worry too much about having a rp reason for everything. My character is angelic (as in the highest alignment, not as in an angel, as there are such things in the mud). He does, however, still commit murder in game, as there are times when it's necessary...

As far as being a southerner and worshipping Quanqued... What about all those people down in N'Orleans who worship the Orishas? What about all the Native Americans who worship different beings? Maybe your character is a member of a family who carries on some ancient mystery tradition?

My character is a good old New Englander, again, most likely a Christian in the period of the game, who worships Marduk. Go Figure... :)
Benedict ap Fitzwilliam
aka Harley Smith Jr

Quanqued
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Quanqued »

We won't claim to be 100% realistic. While there are elements of realism in the game and we encourage RP between characters there will always be RP problems between NPC's and PC's- with the sole exception being if there was someone always controlling every single mob. Also we are a H&S derivative and that is abundantly clear during game play. However, we have attempted to provide plenty of options on where you go to level up. It's actually possible to obtain a degree of success without killing although it is obscenely difficult. I've found that the easiest solution is to keep in mind that this is ultimately a game where we come to have fun, and where the rules and restrictions are enacted to provide a simile of the mythos but are not bound by the written works of the mythos. It is a mix, there is a balance, and probably no one (not even Bast and I) agree with where that balance point should be.

[ Sorry about the delays in replying- work decided that 60-80 hours isn't all that bad a work week after all ]
~Quanqued

=============================
- "Who says mortality can't be overcome?"
- "Well yeah, the trick is avoiding the death part."

For more prompt responses, please use the in-game boards, or email: cthulhumud@foxpaws.net
nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by nortonew »

Its not 100% realistic? You mean when I was debating Latin with a Moonbeast it was less than totally true-to-life?
Benedict
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Benedict »

Now why wouldn't a Moonbeast know latin, or be able to debate it? ;)
Benedict ap Fitzwilliam
aka Harley Smith Jr

Ryven
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Ryven »

I've got an idea... if you get bored with not killing things that are just standing there being useless mobs and looking like a good source of XP, let yourself fudge a little, provided nobody's around. Later you can always pretend you gained your impressive skills doing something else. Being strict with yourself about RP can be fun sometimes, but if it's not... it's just a game, have some fun.
Somebody set up us the bomb.