Introducing Myself to the Game

CthulhuMud Discussion

Moderators: mgmirkin, Bast, Quanqued, Moderators

Ian Whateley
Occultist
Occultist

Introducing Myself to the Game

Post by Ian Whateley »

I've spent a lot of time looking for a Lovecraftian gaming experience online. I used to play Cthulhu Nation, but it became subscriber-only. I went on a long search of the internet, and I'm glad I did.
I've sort of fallen in love with CthulhuMUD. I especially like the totally-free bit. I also like its extensiveness and the fact that it takes players throughout the races and worlds of the Mythos, which the average Mythos game (is there such a thing?) does not. And, of course-it is a MUD. I've never played a MUD before, but already I'm finding I enjoy that feature inparticular. I think the fact that this game is a MUD has probably been what kept down its membership, but its about time for a MUD revival. I know of several popular online games that are really just fancy, simplified MUDs (Urban Dead, for example). It just plain looks cool to be doing something as old school as playing a game with no graphics. And, provided noone actually looks at what I'm typing, I can play this at work. :twisted:

I'd like to introduce my RP character a litte. His name is Whateley, and he is currently a Tentacle of Dagon training on the reef. the reason that his name is Whateley is because his family is haunted with an ancient curse. A small amount of human blood was introduced into the geneology a long time ago, and still manifests itself in a slightly more human appearance. This has been a source of great shame which has motivated Whateley to become a fervent Deep-One nationalist. He foams at the mouth as he attempts to make it clear that the religion and culture of the Deep Ones is superior to anything human and much in the Dreamlands (although he would never challenge the culture of the Starspawn who it is a true Deep One's greates ambition to serve). He is polite and moral, but his morals are those of a true Deep-One, and so would be considered evil by any human scale. His greatest dream is to become an Evil Avatar and drive men to the ultimate freedom of madness!

I was thinking about doing a lot of sermonizing-to-evil with Whateley, so if this is a serious griefing activity I'd like to know so I can think of something else. I could also use a little sermonizing-to-evil myself, as Whateley seems to have accidentally become Angelic from killing spinefish. This is provided that being evil doesn't cause a loss of access to certain areas.

I have had some trouble with food, to the effect that I basically have to roam around killing and eating everything in site like a twisted Pacman. I'd appreciate advice on getting those food-creation spells I heard about. I'd also appreciate some advice on what to do when I get to about level 15 and want to leave the newbie training grounds. I've found some great maps for Arkham and Cairo and somewhere called the submarine, but nothing for the started Deep-One city, something I find a bit frustrating. It doesn't help that I haven't gotten an intelligent response from any mob other than a short exchange with the guy who gives the Octopus Spear, and even that didn't work right.

That said, I'd also like to say thanks to the players and immortals who have helped me immensely despite my penchant for finding trouble.
susanrichard
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by susanrichard »

This is probably the results We're getting all over. thanks