Jesus Cthulhu

Topics of the Mythos

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Jesus Cthulhu

Post by Enkil »

While the role of the Cthulhu mythos in many religions has been investigated - e.g., the pre-Columbian cults of Mesoamerica received attention from Lovecraft himself, vide ``The Mound'' - it is curious that a number of rather obvious connections have not been made with the Christian faith.

The coincidence of names, Jesus Christ and Great Cthulhu, is suggestive, but a linguistic accident. Much more convincing is the fact that Cthulhu is a god who died and yet lives, now and forever, and shall soon enough return in glory. Indeed, one of his (abortive) resurrections took place rather close to Easter. Both the return of Christ and the return of Cthulhu are eagerly awaited by hordes of worshippers who will do anything they can to hasten the day. Both are to be heralded by war, death and general chaos. Both are connected with astronomical prophecies - Cthulhu will return ``when the stars are right,'' while, according to Revelations, the Apocalypse should make astronomy a most interesting if confusing profession. Both will be preceded by unusual entities, Christ by the Beast and Cthulhu by Nyralthotep. Christ was preceded the first time by John the Baptist, who was probably yet another incarnation of the Crawling Chaos. Both will involve the elimination of death, in the Christian version by the resurrection for the Last Judgement. The Cthulhist parallel is uncertain, but it is well known that;

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange eons even death may die.

Finally, and perhaps not trivially, both will inaugurate a new world order.

It should not be forgotten that Jesus came from an area where the worship of the Magna Mater has been endemic for millennia, despite frequent condemnation by prophets of the ``Queen of Heaven'' and ``abominations.'' Her connection with the mythos is well-known (see HPL, ``The Rats in the Walls''); a consensus of learned opinion holds her to be Shubb-Niggurath. Some, such as Robert Graves in his The Greek Myths, have asserted that the name ``Mary'' derives from a title of this goddess. This does not necessarily imply that the Virgin was an extradimensional horror. She may merely have worshipped one. Yet the same scholar in The White Goddess cryptically remarks that Jesus was descended from Her on both sides...

The unusual conditions of Jesus' origin are well-known, and it is unnecessary to dwell on them here, as the parallel with Wilbur Whately is distressingly obvious (see HPL, ``The Dunwich Horror''). Certainly His Father must have been extremely unpleasant, for King Herod to be willing to kill a huge number of infants to prevent such a contamination of the gene pool. Also like Whately, Jesus was extraordinarily precocious, and appears to have been no more reassuring or winning than the former. Indeed, it was suspected by some contemporaries that His ability to handle demons was unwholesome; His rebuttal is so patent a sophistry as to need no comment.

Besides His exorcisms and cures, most of Jesus' miracles involve water - turning water into wine, multiplication of loaves and fishes, walking on water, etc.. Even the demons driven into swine were sent into the sea, possibly as an offering. Again, a large number of Cthulhoid entities are aquatic or amphibious, and may have been of assistance. He promised to make His disciples ``fishers of men.'' This is obviously a puzzled scribe's redaction of ``fish-men'' - that is,deep Ones. Current Cthulhology indicates that this promise could only be fulfilled if it referred to their descendants, or if they were already part Deep One themselves. It also indicates a deplorable lack of honesty among members of the Mythos.

Repeated references to ``Heaven,'' especially the ``Kingdom of Heaven,'' in the Gospels, assume new relevance when the extraterrestrial origin of most mythos beings is called to mind. Indeed, it appears that the universe is almost exclusively populated by eldritch horrors, who are, fortunately for this author's limited powers of description, indescribable. The basic prayer prescribed in the Gospels - ``Our Father who art in Heaven... Thy will be done, thy Kingdom come, on Earth as it is in Heaven'' is positively chilling in this light.

As to the lack of overly Cthulhoid elements in Christianity today, it should be noted that St. Paul, not one of the original group of disciples, had a major role in spread the faith. It is likely that, as a semi-outsider, he was not trusted with the full revelation in all its mind-shattering detail, misinterpreted what he was told, and proceeded to spread it from one end of the Roman Empire to the other. It is also possible that some of the Gnostic sects and later heretics had more accurate ideas of the nature of the religion, and were suppressed in the name of sheer decency.

The implications of this are unsettling, not to say staggering. The fanciful might be tempted to imagine Catholics replacing statues of the Virgin with cloven-hooved, tentacled horrors, or Baptists in polyester suits and plastic squid masks boarding South Sea cruises, waving curiously-bound editions of the Kitab al-Azif and shouting ``Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!'' In all seriousness,much remains to be clarified; it appears that a major new field of Cthulhology is opening up. ~ The Proceedings of the Chrono-Causal Contentions Committee, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 4-5 (http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/jesus-cthulhu.html)
"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it." ~ Caesar
[America] [Scotland] ||| The Truth will stand when the World is on fire.
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

No one is interested in this enough to post?
"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it." ~ Caesar
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

well, i think it would be more effective with some quotations, or footnotes or something. it's not in very specific terms, so i think you could draw similar connections to various religions. parts of the legend of jesus, for example, were already old by his time (divine descent, powers of resurrection, transmutation, etc.). most religions deal with mortality and heritage and progeny because those are fundamental human issues.. hpl worked this to his advantage by perverting some aspects and keeping others in line with reality. so there are bound to be common threads, and some of them are intentionally suggestive.

i wouldn't want to steer anyone away from this text you posted, if there was a chance to lure them into some mythos reading, or even just comparative examination of religions. but as for proving a point or shaking the foundations of anything i believe in, it doesn't quite do the trick for me.
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

I didn't write it. I also haven't actually read it >_>
odin2
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by odin2 »

Enkil wrote:I didn't write it. I also haven't actually read it >_>

..........I laughed so hard when I read that!
"I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"
~~H.P.Lovecraft~~
IMDB wrote: in the event of a zombie apocalypse, or the return of Cthulu, be near a Wal-Mart!
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

it has the writer's web address at the end
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
miz redavni
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by miz redavni »

PLEASE READ THIS ALL

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(Genesis 1, 2)

Creation by earth divers

Two elements are important in myths of this type. There is, first, the theme of the cosmogonic water representing the undifferentiated waters that are present before the earth has been created. Secondly, there is an animal who plunges into the water to secure a portion of earth. The importance of the animal is that the creature agent is a pre human species. This version of the myth is probably the oldest version of this genre. This basic structure of the earth-diver myth has been modified in central Europe in myths that relate the story of the primordial waters, God, and the devil. In these versions of the earth-diver myth, the devil appears as God's companion in the creation of the world. The devil becomes the diver sent by God to bring earth from the bottom of the waters. In most versions of this myth, God does not appear to be omniscient or omnipotent, often depending on the knowledge of the devil for certain details regarding the creative act details that he learns through tricks he plays upon the devil.

In still different versions of this myth, the relationship between God and the devil moves from companionship to antagonism; they become adversaries, though they remain as co-creators of the world. The fact that the devil has had a part in the creation of the world is one way of explaining the origin and persistence of evil in the world.

Mircea Eliade, a noted 20th-century historian of religions, has pointed to another theme in certain Romanian versions of this myth. After God has instructed the devil to dive to the bottom of the waters and bring up the earth, the devil obeys, diving several times before he is able to bring up and hold on to a small portion of earth. After the creation of the world from this small portion of earth, God sinks into a profound sleep. This sleep is a sign of mental exhaustion, for only the devil and a bee know the solution to certain details of the creation, and God must, with the help of the bee, trick the devil into giving him this vital information. God's sleep, according to Eliade, is a sign of his passivity and disinterest in the world after it has been created, and it harks back to certain archaic myths in which the supreme deity retires from the world after its creation, becoming disinterested and passive in the relationship to his work.
link to quote

In the Old Testament, Leviathan appears in Psalms 74:14 as a multiheaded sea serpent that is killed by God and given as food to the Hebrews in the wilderness. In Isaiah 27:1, Leviathan is a serpent and a symbol of Israel's enemies, who will be slain by God. In Job 41, it is a sea monster and a symbol of God's power of creation.

The archdemons:

Lucifer pride,

Mammon avarice,

Asmodeus lechery, (king of demons)

Satan anger, (after Lucifer fall)

Beelzebub gluttony, (Prince of the flies)

Leviathan envy, (the snake)

Belphegor sloth,

Legion all above together.

I form light and create darkness, I make weal and create woe, I am the Lord, who do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7)

Belial, the angel of darkness and the spirit of wickedness, appears as the adversary of the prince of luminaries and the spirit of truth.

The lost name of God:

The personal name of God probably was known long before the time of Moses. The name of Moses' mother was Jochebed (Yokheved), a word based on the name Yahweh. Thus, the tribe of Levi, to which Moses belonged, probably knew the name Yahweh, which originally may have been (in its short form Yo, Yah, or Yahu) a religious invocation of no precise meaning evoked by the mysterious and awesome splendour of the manifestation of the holy.
link to quote
meenween
Scholar
Scholar

Good Comparision

Post by meenween »

I liked your comparison of the the Cthulhu Mythos and Christianity. However, it is important to realize that this comparison should not only be for a specific religion, instead, an explanation of all religions/ancient beliefs. Religion is a social phenmenon, and has been in the minds of humans since the begining of time. Ancient Greeks, Maya, Chinese, Sumerians, etc all have different beliefs of creation and ultimate creators. The Lovecraft Mythos is another chapter in thought of where we came from. It is not healthy to try and prove one religion is truth and another is false, rather try and explain the reality of a soul and an ultimat universal creator. I used to be an atheist when I was b/w the age of 19-22, now I am most definetly an Agnostic only two years later. I realized the Universe is much to complex to have been formed only through the use of physics/science. Rather the universe is a living/changing thing and humans will never understand the complexities of it.The chance that there are other planets that hold life is very great, even though they may be millions of light years away. Lovecraft understood this and communicated it through his mythos. H.P. also used the theory of multi-dimesions to explain his beliefs. I believe there are multiple dimesions, yet humans can only percieve things in 3d. Using different religions has basis can help us understand where we came from, but none is correct. We need to use these thoughts to try and learn the aspects of the soul, destiny, greater beings, and that we are a small part of the ever changing universe.
Easyfutco
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

non-existent " midfields game.

Post by Easyfutco »

Now at Juventus, Tevez has made the bold comparison between the two leagues and has concluded that it is easier to score in the Premier League because of its "non-existent " midfields game.