What of the unfinished short story "Azathoth"?

Topics of the Mythos

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

TheDreamer
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

What of the unfinished short story "Azathoth"?

Post by TheDreamer »

I have really wanted to know exactly who the protagonist in this story is?

Can anyone in this entire forum shed any light on the subject? Because I find this to be his last work. It could have been brilliant but I wish I could read more.

Thankyou all for any help, it is appreciated.

TheDreamer
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

It wasn't his last work, I don't think - didn't he abandon it to write "Dream Quest" instead?
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
TheDreamer
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by TheDreamer »

Ah, yes, the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. I didn't that he abandoned it, but thanks. But still, I wonder what he was trying to write..
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

All I knows is that its a page and a half long and sucks ass...unlike Dream Quest...which has several pages
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Ulayoth
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Ulayoth »

I find that HPL gets more across in 2 pages than most novelists do in 500.
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

yah two solid pages of shit...except for What the Moon Brings, thats an awesome story!
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
Danial
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Danial »

The Book was unfinished and I thought it was good. Was wishing there was more atleast. I read somewhere that it was an attempt at expanding upon Fungi From Yuggoth.
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

Yah The Book is a pretty neat story.
miz redavni
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by miz redavni »

Eternities End wrote:yah two solid pages of shit...except for What the Moon Brings, thats an awesome story!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
this is such a brilliant quote! i cant believe you think that his work is shit..... meh... we all have our own oppinions.... yes i know.... my spelling sucks :)
WWWEEEEEE!!!!!
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I've read that quote too many times cuz to me its not as effective as it once was, and his work with the Dreamworld stuff is shit, The Dream Quest had the stupidest ending ever and the rest are no better.
wilum pugmire
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by wilum pugmire »

"Azathoth" is the opening fragment of what was planned as a novel. Penned in 1922, it is an early work. The 400 words of it that we have are quite superb, like some dreamy decadent opium-dream. The style is very much in the prose-poetry tradition. Whenever I read this excellent fragment, I wish that HPL had completed more of it. As to your question concerning its narrator, this is another example of Lovecraft's un-named narrators, as we find in other tales such as "The Shadow over Innsmouth." Some theories tell that this fragment eventually became the discarded short novel, "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" -- but there is little to support this conjecture. Is "Azathoth" available in any of the paperback editions of HPL? I have it in Arkham's MISCELLANEOUS WRITINGS, but cannot now recall if it was included in any of ye Del Rey trade pbs.
There was no hand to hold me back
That night I found ye Antient Track
Issac Pilgrim
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Issac Pilgrim »

That night I found ye Antient Track.

That's very good: yours or a quote; if so, from what.
"There's more hair down there!"
wilum pugmire
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by wilum pugmire »

My signature is from H. P. Lovecraft's poem, "The Ancient Track." The poem gave it's title to the Joshi-edited THE ANCIENT TRACK -- THE COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS OF H. P. LOVECRAFT, still available from Night Shade Books.
That night I found ye Antient Track
tsathoggua
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by tsathoggua »

i like it
"If the eye could perceive the demons that people the universe, existence would be impossible. The demons are more numerous than we are."