Notes for Helpers

CthulhuMud Discussion

Moderators: mgmirkin, Bast, Quanqued, Moderators

Rhialto
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Notes for Helpers

Post by Rhialto »

I think we should start a thread about tips for those who help newbies.
My best tip is on weapons: Professor Henderson in MU has a long cane which does an average of 10 damage and is level 0, so it's a great weapon to enchant+brand+perm to give to new players, especially those initiates and convent undergraduates who have skill in maces.
Blargh
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Blargh »

I'd recommend the thermal zapper if your newbie prefers daggers (and meets the intelligence requirement). Level 8 with a flaming brand and a fair whack to them. Low enough to enchant, a sharpen and perm can be thrown on too. The most accessible spots to get a hold of them are probably player shops. One just outside the Ulthar Temple sells them, last I saw.
END COMMUNICATION!
FranklinWest
Scholar
Scholar

Post by FranklinWest »

I guess my addition to this is to remember that the armor bug was fixed a while back. The AC bonus on forged armor will no longer slowly degenerate until the armor is worthless, or even detrimental. It's constant now, as it should be. Some armor forged from the yuggoth crystals will give a new player a nice mana boost - especially helpful if they're spellcasters-in-training.

My biggest beef (which I think I've said 100 times or so) is buffing beyond the point where it's practical - which just encourages the person to use their new shiny weapon until it no longer omglolwtfpwnz0rz everything - which for a hero skilled in forging means the newbie is pretty much set until it's time to hit the abyss/monks. I like the buffed thermal zapper, and the buffed rapier is a good idea as well. I like the idea that these things can really help out, without teaching helplessness.

A few little boosts given a few days apart, in my opinion, can be much more beneficial than one big one all at once. I can't tell you how many hero-forged flaming vorpal permananced branded enchanted level 13 daggers I've seen left laying around in morgues until the refresh gobbles them.
"...You think it's dead just because you shot it in the head?"
"Never trust anyone you can't quickly and easily kill."
-Franklin West

Join the Madness! :cthulhu1:

ID: Cthulhumud
Host: cthulhumud.com
Port: 8889
Raymond
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Raymond »

...Don't forget poisoned :p