Pictures

General Topics and Introductions

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Pictures

Post by Hodgson »

Post a picture or a link to one, with or without comment.

For example:

This is the monument of a grave in Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville where I live. I visited the cemetery this past Summer and took pictures but I have no way at the moment to scan and post them. This picture was taken from a google search; the statue is one of my favorites.

Cave Hill is a very large cemetery, carefully landscaped into a kind of park. I only got to walk in it for an hour or two that day and mean to go back soon. Besides the statues, there are also a great number of obelisks and mausoleums, the latter of which are so ornate that they seem like oversized gingerbread houses--except that they usually have more than one front door and no doorknobs.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Here's a picture of one of the mausoleums. Only one front door on this one though.

Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

This is a pic of a headless skeleton (a goat or sheep I think) I found when camping in the middle of nowhere. We never found the head.

JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

this awesome tree and others nearby have been removed since the photos were taken
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

JJ Burke wrote: this awesome tree and others nearby have been removed since the photos were taken
I've seen that kind of distortion in tree roots before. Any idea whether there's a name for that? I looked it up and the only information I could find is that excess moisture in the soil can sometimes lead to distortion in the roots.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

This is the old Waverly Hills sanatorium, originally built as a TB hospital. I grew up just blocks away and the uppermost part was visible from the end of my street. The place sat empty for years, but the current owner now gives tours and hosts a haunted house on its first floor at Halloween.

This one was taken in the old days before most of the buildings were knocked down.

This one is more recent, although lately some restoration has been done.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

Hodgson wrote:I've seen that kind of distortion in tree roots before. Any idea whether there's a name for that? I looked it up and the only information I could find is that excess moisture in the soil can sometimes lead to distortion in the roots.
never heard it called anything.. a very weird effect, like a candle melting. almost as if some sap poured out the side and turned into wood, like some kind of arboreal volcanism
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I don't have any creepy photos at the minute, but I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread since I likes it.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Mono Lake in the Sierra Nevada. I have heard it described as a dead lake, or one that appears dead--see description below.

US 395 is the main north-south route in California east of the Sierra Nevada range, and for much of its length has very impressive views of the snow-covered mountains nearby. . . . The surrounding land is flat and quite barren with remains of ancient volcanoes and lava plateaus.

The Lake: The lake is 3 times as salty as the sea, but is not generally suitable for swimming or paddling as the water is somewhat smelly, rocks are sharp and in summer at least there are vast swarms of tiny black flies living close to the shore, often making the land appear quite dark. These are curious in that they will not settle on people - one can walk along disturbing great clouds of them yet remain untouched. There are no fish in Mono Lake, and the only creature that can survive in the alkaline water is a species of shrimp. The most famous features of the lake are the towers of Tufa (calcium carbonate) concentrated along the southwestern edge, formed by action of freshwater streams on the alkaline lake waters; the lake is protected as part of the Mono Lake Tufa State Reserve. Besides the formations, this helps to safeguard the large and varied population of birds that nest in the area.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/califo ... index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_Lake
http://www.monolake.org/naturalhistory/index.html

Here are some more pictures: http://www.monolake.org/photogallery/photo.htm
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Mockingbird, apropos of nothing.

Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

A section of the Giant's Causeway in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. About an hour's drive from me, it's s a massive sprawl of basalt columns, mostly perfectly hexagonal. This particular section is sometimes called the 'Pipe Organ', for obvious reasons. Freaky-deaky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant%27s_Causeway
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

Jesus Prime wrote: A section of the Giant's Causeway in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. About an hour's drive from me, it's s a massive sprawl of basalt columns, mostly perfectly hexagonal. This particular section is sometimes called the 'Pipe Organ', for obvious reasons. Freaky-deaky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant%27s_Causeway
I've seen pictures of that before but it still looks uncannily artificial. Incidentally, I also just came across a reference to it while re-reading Mountains of Madness.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

Some old buildings in a graveyard somewhere...I never remeber where I took this.

JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

angled structures under the sea by japan ... more photos