Lovecraft-related authors (links)

Lovecraft and the other authors of the Mythos

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

krakenten wrote:I'm currently involved in running down the works of Robert Aickman.
His 'Meeting Mr. Millar' is a suberb examble of wierdness by misdirection, reference and suggestion.
'The Swords', filmed for that TV series,'The Hunger' is a masterwork, part urban legend, part nightmare.
It's worth reading.
I'm not a particular fan of Aickman and haven't read Leiber, but give me some time and I'll add them.

Also, if anyone else has an author to suggest for this thread, let me know. And if you have any links to start with, post those as well.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

Robert Bloch -- this is the connection to the Mythos I tend to read more of because he is from the same area that I call home these days. Shambler of the Stars is one of the Mythos stories that Bloch penned but he started going pschological horror when he wrote Psycho. I am trying to look more into his stories too as a Mythos author.[/img]
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
Hodgson
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Hodgson »

An essay on M.R. James by Clark Ashton Smith:
http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/nonfiction/15
starrysothoth
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by starrysothoth »

Some of the modern authors heavily influenced by Lovecraft are also worth checking out. Others already noted Ligotti, but Ramsay Campbell, Richard Lupoff, and the late Karl Edward Wagner come to mind. Neil Gaiman has also written a few mythos tales.

If anyone is looking for non-Western contemporaries involved in the mythos, they would do a lot worse than to read any of the "Lairs of the Hidden Gods" volumes put out by Kurodahan Press. There are four in the set, and each one includes some of the best translated mythos works from Japan. I found editor Asamatsu Ken's stories to be fairly effective, as well as first volume offerings from the minds of Kamino Okina and Murata Motoi. You can learn about the first volume here: http://www.kurodahan.com/e/catalog/titles/j0010.html

Though not quite an author of purely textual Lovecraftian art, Junji Ito is of interest too as another Japanese writer. He has created some very Lovecraftian manga comics and helped produced several films. His latest manga is supposedly the most Lovecraftian to date, but alas, not translated into English (yet). His wikipedia entry is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junji_Ito

Hope that helps, gents.
smithmate
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by smithmate »

Excellent Post. You have to Post here really a great Author list with the Links and it provide great Information. Thanks for Sharing this Wonderful and Very Great Information of Authors.