A very, very short story, "Faith vs. Knowledge"

Want to contribute something to the Temple of Dagon?

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

A very, very short story, "Faith vs. Knowledge"

Post by Secret3 »

In that twilight between idol rest and pure, deep slumber I was awakened by a sudden and terrible impression; I was not alone.

My eyes opened as my heart leapt in my chest- adrenaline surged through my veins. Was it something from a vague impression that was not quite yet a dream? I felt a voice in my head that seemed alien. I felt a presence in my room,.

"I know you're there!" I shouted in a cracking voice, trying to sound bold and certain, though I was anything but certain, and feeling far from bold.

No sooner had I spoken when the thought entered my head, "No, you don't. You don't know anything is there."

I listened quietly, only silence. My eyes searched, but only blackness could be found. The pounding in my veins constricted my throat- I began to hear the ringing in my ears and feel my chest pounding, and in my mind I asked myself, "Why am I afraid?"

The answer came to my thoughts, "Because you believe that you sensed a presence."

"Ah," my mind retorted, "but you don't actually know that there is anything there?"

"Well, no," I answered myself silently, "I couldn't actually know something based solely on intuition. I would need to sense it in a physical way to actually know it. I would have to see it, or feel it, or hear it..."

"...and so now you know..." came the raspy voice from the dark...
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Odd.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Yes odd.. but interesting :)
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I'd try to expand it into a fuller musing on instinct and learning, but I'm too lazy.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
gorgliat
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by gorgliat »

hey, I think this form of storytelling is compelling. Very Lovecraftian:-) But I think you should work some more on it. You have a theme, right. A guy is frightened, but of what. Is it unknown to us all? What happens, does he investigate?
Evil too, has its language :-€
Enkil
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Enkil »

As I was reading I really didn't care for it much, to be honest. THEN the last line came, and I couldn't keep down the biggest grin I've had in 2 years. Excellent story.
"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it." ~ Caesar
[America] [Scotland] ||| The Truth will stand when the World is on fire.
mbtshoes
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by mbtshoes »

Although the story is short ,so charming
This is the best and professional MBT Shoes online store you have met. You can benefit a lot when you standing or walking by MBT mens walking shoes.Your satisfaction is our pursuit.
mobme30
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by mobme30 »

Odd.
I think you should work some more on it. You have a theme, right. A guy is frightened, but of what. Is it unknown to us all?
Just do it.This is the Nike spirit, it is my spirit.So I just love nike shoes,which I prefer nike shox. Because it helps my basketball career.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED