Story view counter and quick feedback system

Have any ideas?

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Story view counter and quick feedback system

Post by nortonew »

Is there some way to tell how many times a submitted story has been viewed? (Since the forums show how many times a post has been viewed I thought maybe the stories might do that too somehow).

When I put a story up, its always nice to know if people are reading it or not.

Also, I would kind of like it if there was some sort of quick rating thingy that people could use to give easy feedback. I'm sure a lot of people don't want to bother to post comments, but maybe just clicking on a 1 to 10 type thing might be something readers would be willing to bother to do.

I think perhaps it may be best if only the author could see the ratings for stories though. People might be hesitant to contribute if they feel its a competition of some sort.

On the other hand, some readers appreciate clues as to what others have enjoyed...

Probably such a system should be discussed amongst all it would be affecting before it is implemented, (if it ever were).
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Some fully dynamic driven sites (PHPNuke, etc. based) make it easy to setup things like this since its all dynamic anyway.

Everything on this site is hand-done. It would be one thing to implement a rating type system, but it might be another to make it so only you could see it.

You never know though. Now what would be very easy to do, is individual stat tracking for each of the pages. There are many services that offer this. It usually involves just sticking a small image somewhere on the page. That way you could track the stats on your individual pages.

There are a lot of options.. I will figure out something :)

Btw, do you like the way stories pop up in their own page style? I thought about changing it, if so I can do this all together.
nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Story pages

Post by nortonew »

The way the story pages are set up are probably rather nice for people that might want to print them out, (to read later or something). They can be printed without having to worry about getting some sort of menu frame or something on the side.
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

And if you have ever looked at a print preview you will notice I am using a seperate style sheet for printing on those too, so it looks even better printed :)
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

I would be interested in seeing how many people read my stuff as well. Always good when talking to publishers :D
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I will definitely get something worked out :)
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Cool...that works. So often people think that writers don't mind working in vacuums. I can tell you any praise and hits add to the cause!
nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Working in a vacuum

Post by nortonew »

Yeah, working in a vacuum sucks, (bad pun - sorry). When you post stuff up and no one says anything, you begin to wonder if you are just wasting your time. It would almost better if they at least would tell me that the stories suck, then at least I would KNOW that I was wasting my time...

Lagwolf wrote:
Cool...that works. So often people think that writers don't mind working in vacuums. I can tell you any praise and hits add to the cause!
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

I support that idea 101%. Feedback is great. Having done lot of work, it is great to read what others think about it and how it made them feel. Even if they'd say you suck a$$, you still know your creation has made an imprint, even if it is a negative one. Everything you read leaves something of itself into you.
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I will most certainly come up with something!

Even though I don't really write, I share a similar feeling. Unless I hear people telling me what they think about this site (which I do a lot these days!) I always wonder. No feedback at all makes everything seem so empty