Lovecraft-inspired Novels

Need writing advice? Want to share works in progress? Look here!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

CaptainMarsh
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Lovecraft-inspired Novels

Post by CaptainMarsh »

Barring the fan-sustained fiction magazines and anthologies, does anyone know how the publishing industry reacts to Lovecraft-related work?

I ask because I'm currently writing a novel which is based on his work, and I'm curious if I go shopping around for a standard agent, what they will think of it. Does anyone have any personal knowledge or experience related to it? Like, perhaps anyone vaguely connected to the mainstream publishing industry simply tossing out anything with the word Lovecraft in it...?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

Honest answer? Its pretty damn hard to get a Lovecraft inspired novel or novella published. It took me a very long time to get a publisher and it was a fairly small one at that.
CaptainMarsh
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Re: Novel

Post by CaptainMarsh »

Good to know! Thank you.

Anyone else have any experiences with it?
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

It is tricky to get novellas that are Lovecraftian in nature published, my nonfiction book is very Lovecraftian in the feel and I got my own publisher to do it too. Best way to do it is publish it yourself with lulu.com. It is easier to get a Science Fiction book published than a book that is entirely Lovecraftian in nature. My short story collection Collectives In A Forsaken Landscape is quite Lovecraftian in parts -- the Sci-Fi story and my nonfiction are more Rod Serling influenced but the rest of the book is H.P. Lovecraft and Algernon Blackwood inspired horror. I am co-writing a story right now that is going to be a mix between HPL and Stephen King because the author I am co-writing with is influenced by Stephen King. She knows what she's doing though but I had to introduce her to Lovecraft and Blackwood for the style.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Speaking of Rod Serling.. Night Gallery Season 2 will be released soon on DVD! :) :)
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Aleister wrote:Speaking of Rod Serling.. Night Gallery Season 2 will be released soon on DVD! :) :)
Dude, when I move the cursor over your signiture, the scroll bar to the side of my screen moves with it. That thing is fucking wierd and I'm afraid of it.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.