Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

mary
Occultist
Occultist

Mythos Flavored DnD: Is it possible?

Post by mary »

The Dragon Master
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
This whole concept started a few years ago, I had finally started reading the works of H.P. Lovecraft. I began looking through the handful of games to see about working the feel of his works into a campaign. Now that's not to say a full on, elder gods coming back to destroy humanity, but the hidden cultures, dark gods (Nyarlathotep specifically), travel through dark dimensions.

I never really was quite able to express this to my players, and haven't had any luck explaining it to them, or at least they weren't interested in what they thought I was trying to sell (from their comments I think that Call of Cthulhu may have been their only exposure to Lovecraft, while I'm more interested in Curse Of Yig, Nyarlathotep, Irem... you get the idea). Well I think I have a way to work the things I want into the next game I run. I've been volunteered to run a DnD game (never having more than cracked the players guide, but that's a whole rant-unto-itself). I agreed to do so, with two caveats: someone else has to run one first so that I get a feel for what they're looking for ("I know what I mean when I say DnD, but what do you mean when you say DnD..."), and second that we play in a setting entirely of my own devising. The second is what this post is about.

Having read through the D20 SRD (before buying the 3.5 books in the leather bound edition) I took note of the different modified races (aquatic, desert, and so forth) and just set the information aside. I've been reading Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon (having found that the new book "Necronomicon: The Works of H.P. Lovecraft" by no means has all of his works, much less all of his better ones) and with this floating through my head, during a read through of the story of Irem as presented in their it occured to me that I just might be able to pull this off.

Naturally the citizens of the Nameless city (the one beneath Irem) are Kobolds (short, reptilian eaters of human flesh).
Deepones could be Aquatic Elves (with the natives who preceded the citizens of Innsmouth being Aquatic Half-Elves.

___________________________-

Internet Phone Service
caribbean holidays
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED