Chaos Magick Theory & Lovecraftian Magick

Topics of the Mythos

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

krakenten
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by krakenten »

At this point, a very old fan is moved to speak up.
Lovecraft invented Cthulhu and company-he got the idea from one of his monumental nightmares-and there is no mention of the Yog-Sothoth cycle before his original "Call of Cthulhu".
The Necronomicon is actually an inspired blunder, Lovecraft had another dream, this time of a book, "The Book of the Laws of the Dead", and his Greek wasn't up to the task(Lovecraft never finished High School, he was self educated-and a respectable amateur astronomer, too).
His pulp fiction friends, Howard, Smith, Leiber, Derleth and others often shared ideas, which made for a somewhat confused canon, and the illusion of a real occult system, obscured by time.
For years, the Lovecraftian was little more than a joke-'Fantasy and Science Fiction' magazine ran a shriekingly funny spoof called "Ralph Woolstoncraft Hedge" in the sixties that lampooned Lovecraft mercilessly, and parodies abound-Cthulhu lurked in the literary shadows, then.
When I stumbled across the Mythos, for some years I was convinced that ol' calimari face was a real occult entity, from an obscure tradition I was never able to access.
Lovecraft actually intended this.
He was perhaps inspired by the Bible, with it's rather confused and contradictory accounts of events, and the rather muddled traditions of the Greco-Roman and Egyptian worlds.
A brilliant conception, somewhat skewed by Derleth's later contributions, and the stretch of obscurity did it no harm.
But Cthulhu will not hear your prayers.
Now there are those who hold that if enough people believe something, it will be brought into being, as a function of the Quantum Universe, or through some process as yet unknown to us.
Cthulhu still won't hear your prayers, it's not in it's nature.
The Yog-Sothoth gang is like a Mafia Borgata on a cosmic scale, complex and amoral, full of plots and schemes, using every opportunity to advance their agenda.
They want to open the Gate, to re-enter this world, to own it again, to rule and rampage, free and supreme, using science and magic, which is a science to them.
And all authorities agreee-contact with the Great Old Ones is sure destruction, you can't win that game.
Got it?
DON'T WORSHIP CTHULHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vita Brevis, Ars Longa, Mors Profundis
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

yeah, i've always had trouble with these modern-day cultists trying to enter into some kind of mutually beneficial relationship with the GOOs. i think it comes from being alienated, and wanting to alienate the world in return.. lavey's kooky devil suit deflated our fear of satan, so we had to look around for something even more evil, and then we got on its good side, because we're just as freaky and far-out as it is, and we'll be laughing at you when our version of the judgment day comes.

lots of religious motivations wind up at that bottom line.. 'i'll be laughing and you'll be crying, i was right and you were wrong.'

meanwhile, nobody appreciates the literature for what it is
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
krakenten
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by krakenten »

The Great Old Ones are destruction, that's the whole basis of the Lovecraft Canon.
Satan has been rehabilitated in modern literature, there is very little Evil left, so Azathoth and the guys are being pressed into service.
"My gods are stronger than your gods
My gods are stronger than yours
They're all scaly
And they have tentacles
My gods are stronger than yours!!!"
So there.
Vita Brevis, Ars Longa, Mors Profundis
Satori
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Satori »

I've been working with servitors, egregores and godforms, including Lovecraftian morphic patterns. I'm networking with them, bringing them into alignment with each other, and sending them out to exploit weaknesses in the New World Order (for example, that it not only doesn't have the collective Will of the people behind it, but actually stands about 180 degrees in conflict with that collective Will... so it's easy to knock over metaphysically, where Will is everything.) I've found that Cthulhu and Dionysus work rather well together. Cthulhu represents - at least in part - the destruction that inevitably occurs whenever people defy their own Nature, warping and straining towards something... Darker. Dionysus represents the joyfulness of life, party spirit, god of drunkenness, and general irrational exuberance. He personifies the joy and Meaning that come from choosing in accordance with our True Nature, rather than defying it. In Dionysus' darker aspect (and it comes out when people deliberately defy that True Nature), he can drive men mad. His worshippers would run off into the forest in a party-frenzy, dragging the occasional individual from the city off into the seclusion of the wilds and tearing them apart bodily. They would then innocently tell anyone who asked about them that the person in question was taken away by the gods.

Between them, Cthulhu and Dionysus make a good team against political hypocrisy, and the general castrated tendency of society and the status quo to indulge in rampant, joyless hypocrisy. Dionysus' affiliation with spontaneity, madness, wine and vines of ivy can easily be overlaid onto Lovecraftian trans-dimensional dynamic, chaotic, often formless or arbitratily-formed entities, Cthulhu's madness, and tentacles. Teamed up, I can almost perceive them as two facets of the same being, demanding, "Peace and Love... or else." Celebrating joy, and joyfully destroying those who oppose it, without remorse. A party enthusiasm with a joyful and sinister purpose, like that violent rave scene in Blade.

Well, I enjoy it at any rate. Everyone needs a hobby, and with an estimated 800 concentration camps up and running in the States, just waiting, cultivating a metaphysical party-with-an-attitude / destroyer-of-hypocrisy is a fun way to spend ones' time. And let's face it, wielding the true Will of the people, metaphysically, has a lot of heft and clout, particularly when politicians have long abandoned representing that Will. It's still up for grabs, and in magick that much collective Will goes a long, long way.

Anyone who'd like to work with this project can contact Cthulhu or Dionysus about it; they're networked now, at least on this one. Or, just invest some energy in the violent, joyous party energy. Attempts to oppose it will just feed into it with negative karma, which the network will absorb. So it's basically hack-proof, and I therefore have no problem putting this information out there. Party party party!

Be well,

- Satori
TheEdge
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by TheEdge »

This is interesting and I understand where they get the idea that it is some kind of ritual but it really doesnt hold water. Yes it has been turned into a game of some sorts (I guess the game is like D&D) but this is just a fictional mythology created by a recluse in Rhode Island. This was lovecrafts hobby nothing more. There is no magick, magick is what happens when a person pulls a rabbit out of a hat or when people start believing their own imaginations. Lovecraft has nothing to do with a occultism.
"A Radical is one who speaks the truth"

"The rules are for fools"
Satori
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Satori »

TheEdge wrote:This is interesting and I understand where they get the idea that it is some kind of ritual but it really doesnt hold water. Yes it has been turned into a game of some sorts (I guess the game is like D&D) but this is just a fictional mythology created by a recluse in Rhode Island. This was lovecrafts hobby nothing more. There is no magick, magick is what happens when a person pulls a rabbit out of a hat or when people start believing their own imaginations. Lovecraft has nothing to do with a occultism.
Yep, you got me. Magick is a hoax, just like that internet thing people keep talking about. Don't waste your time with it. Leave it to people who know what they're doing.

If you don't know what Chaos Magick is, consider reading up on it before posting on a thread titled, "Chaos Magick Theory & Lovecraftian Magick". And if you do know what it is, consider that posting in said thread saying that it doesn't exist is roughly the equivalent of posting anti-Semitic material in a Judaic thread - in other words, flamebait.

Next, please.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

take a look at the cult of cthulhu to see an amalgamation of lovecraft and satanism in a religious philosophy. the founder is a member of this forum, and has always readily answered questions and challenges (in my experience).
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
TheEdge
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by TheEdge »

Ive been to the site and to be honest I wish you warned me cause Im at work right now lol. I stand by what I said before. Nuff said
Last edited by TheEdge on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i don't know if satori was referencing the cult of cthulhu. it's the only example of its kind that i'm aware of, so i inserted it as a side note to the discussion in progress.
it sound like pretend time at a preschool
can this not be said of any religion's stories? what i find interesting about the CoC is that they consciously embrace the idea of 'make believe' in their pursuits.
TheEdge
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by TheEdge »

Im just going to delete the whole thing, No comment dont wanna get involved

Satori
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by Satori »

JJ Burke wrote:i don't know if satori was referencing the cult of cthulhu. it's the only example of its kind that i'm aware of, so i inserted it as a side note to the discussion in progress.
While I wasn't referring to the CoC, I appreciate your mentioning it. For myself, I don't work with the CoC, at least in a causal sense. It's funny, while I've been a mage for over 15 years I been out of the occult community for the most part over the last five or so. I re-invented applying Lovecraft's mythos with chaos magick for myself. Whether it's due to the inherent style and nature of Lovecraft's writings, the strength of the morphic field through use by other occult practitioners, or for some other reason (it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint exactly what cause brought about what effect, particularly when things start to happen outside of chronological order), Lovecraft's works seem to be particularly good for magickal workings.

Long before I'd ever heard of Lovecraft or his work, I'd had an entity running some energy very close to the energies of his mythos around me since my childhood. In the winter of 2000 I did a Working from the Theurgia Goetia, but instead of the prescribed Goetic entity showing up in the summoning triangle, my own now-familiar entity appeared emanating a dark, malevolent presence. For a number of reasons I won't go into here it genuinely disturbed me, and I've had a lot of experience with magick and am usually pretty jaded. A few years ago I found myself creating a servitor entity, and tied it into Lovecraft's mythos. His writings had definitely inspired me, and like any good chaos magickian I went with what motivated me. I was particularly enchanted with the idea of creatures that existed outside of the normal conventions of Space and Time, for example, and created my servitor entity with that concept in mind. I had no sooner created this entity than the penny dropped - I had created an entity with a very familiar energy signature... the one that had been showing up around me since my childhood. A dark, sinister being that would bring about justice and destruction without compunction or remorse in some extremely unjust situations. And it had manifested throughout my life, before I had even brought it into being. A dark creature out of Time, patterned in confluence with Lovecraft's mythos.

I would submit that Lovecraft's mythos has taken on enough psychic inertia by now to reach at least egregore status. If it achieves enough momentum, it could very easily take on godform status, at which point we really will have Created our own Great Old Ones and so forth. I would further present for evaluation which of these is more likely to bring about creatures and entities out of Lovecraft's writings: a) dancing rituals around arcane sigils and Lovecraftian phrases when the stars are right, or b) hearing news reports of how many men have been slain in a war over barrels of a liquified black ooze refined from the ancient bones of a long-dead reptilian race? Whenever we encounter severe forms of politial hypocrisy - and to some extent, whenever we invest our Will in a choice for something more warped and dark than our actual true Nature - we gradually find ourselves further and further afield from a bright and happy world, and further into some dark and sinister state of existence that Lovecraft would doubtless feel comfortable writing about. If anyone sincerely wants to bring forth the Great Old Ones, no ritual working is required beyond leaving corrupt, hypocritical people in positions of power and influence, and going along with those same Choices oneself. That's rapidly giving this kind of dark, warped and malformed energy exactly the kind of sustenance it needs to gather momentum. Building a society in utter defiance of our own true Nature, and in direct defiance of the order of Creation, is a sure way to invoke destruction, and Lovecraft's depiction is at least as good a format for it as any. I can think of no better example of this than from one of Lovecraft's own stories, The Doom That Came to Sarnath.
miz redavni
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by miz redavni »

personally i believe it bowls done to the power of suggestion. you believe what you believe, if you make a spell and you truly believe it will happen then to you no matter what it will, to your perspective atleast. i mean, if you do a "love spell"(an example known by most people) and its targeted to a boy/girl and it fails, you would think, it didn't fail, you just must of done something wrong. magic/magik, every thing that falls int to the pyschic power catagory is really just the power of your own "belief system"(as in what your willing to believe what can and cant happen in the natural and un-natural universe).
WWWEEEEEE!!!!!