I go both ways

Discuss your work, and the work of the contributors to the Temple.

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Which way do I swing?

Figure on the right
100%
Figure on the left
No votes

Total votes: 3

alx
Scholar
Scholar

I go both ways

Post by alx »

I want to thank everyone again for taking time out to help me with Mister Smiley, and since you were all such great sports last time I am going to impose upon you again! I am working on a new picture right now and it could go either way. Now, obviously there is a bias in the graphics department but I am asking you to ignore that and focus on the overall composition

http://www.bigskyhorizons.com/alx/hb/right.jpg
http://www.bigskyhorizons.com/alx/hb/left.jpg

Let me know which one gives the stronger read and why. I'm pushing for psychological and visual impact so try to grade with these in mind. You have your orders, soldiers- you may fire when ready

P.S. Please open the links in a new window if you know how and then tab between them. It works better that way...
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

cool. is the guy getting shot or something? i'd like to see one where his raised arm is toward the center of the piece, maybe overlapping the posters a little. but of the two shown here, i think i prefer the figure on the right.
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

Looks like something is being hurled into his sack...not a good thing...
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
alx
Scholar
Scholar

When we last left our hero...

Post by alx »

Don't worry about the justification... he can swing left or right at any time. I am only working on the left bias cos that is how I started. But I flip it back every now and again to see how it looks and it still works

At this point in time, I am still blocking out the major areas, and even though it looks like I have shading, there will be proper shading and highlights after I have resolved the primary elements

Having said that, how is the color balance working for you? Are you missing the bandage?

@EE: Good call, as always. I've dropped the cup, what do you think now?
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

Yah its pretty good now, the colorings pretty nice too
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
alx
Scholar
Scholar

Last call for votes

Post by alx »

So, please vote if you haven't already. Let me know if you want to change your vote and I will tally up the results sometime around the end of the week, then I'll publish the final on my site

Now would also be a good time to critique the piece and mention that you think he needs the bandages, etc...

Arigato gozaimashite to everyone who took the time to get involved
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

cool coloring alx, but i'm still not picking up on the story here. the guy looks uncomfortable, or at least annoyed.. seems to be thrown against the wall but i can't see the cause. and why is the jock shield thing so prominent? now that i've become attached through the development process, i must know more. i find it interesting how you mix freehand and digital media. do you have any sequential art (comics) online that we could see?
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

yah or a deviant art account or something with all your up to date stuff?
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

well his personal site is www.ledante.com ... i looked around and saw some illustrations that would fit in comics. just wondering
alx
Scholar
Scholar

Oddly enough...

Post by alx »

I don't do sequential art anymore but I am working on a visual novel. I'll post a link to it if it ever gets off the ground

And the ledante.com site has all of the art I do on it. At least, all the art I am going to admit to
alx
Scholar
Scholar

Consider this poll closed

Post by alx »

I want to thank everyone for their input, and say that if this isn't a good piece of art then it isn't due to the lack of good advice that I was given. Here is the final version