H. P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch-House Amazing!

Music, Art, Movies - Let us know!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

odin2
Shadow Out Of Time

H. P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch-House Amazing!

Post by odin2 »

Just found myself a copy of this amazing DVD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.P._Lovec ... itch-House

It is by Stuart Gordon, the mind behind such movies as Re-Animator, and Dagon ( You know this show is good now!)
While you are picking your copy up you should also try and find Poe's 'The Black Cat' also by Gordon....They are both from the tv show 'Masters of horror' and are very good...
"I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"
~~H.P.Lovecraft~~
IMDB wrote: in the event of a zombie apocalypse, or the return of Cthulu, be near a Wal-Mart!
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I own that already, I was a little disappointed, I like the original story cuz by the end of it your like "That dumb ass, aahahhaha" but the Gordon version could of been worse I suppose
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i was pleasantly surprised when i rented the dvd containing 'dreams in the witch-house.' they could have done a better job with brown jenkin, but overall the production surpassed my expectations.
A monkey riding a dog is probably the awesomest thing that could ever happen.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I'll have to check it out. "Cigarette Burns" rocked my fucking socks.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

What the shit is that?
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

It's John Carpenter's "Masters of Horror" episode.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

Cool! I watched that series for a while till I saw that episode where the zombies come back from the dead to protest the war...
neonchris
Librarian
Librarian

Post by neonchris »

"cigarette burns" was amazing in sooo many ways, I bought the 2 DVD pack with "dreams... & "cigarette... in together mainly for the Lovecraft title but came away being far more impressed by the latter. Having said that, I still like "dreams... for many reasons, not least the set and the witty acting, but ultimately I think it was let down by brown jenkin which turned out a bit too much like a alcoholic tellytubby on crack. I suppose that, ultimately is down to budget. It's a shame though because BJ is probably one of the mythos creatures which creeps me out the most.

Talking of carpenter & lovecraft, I watched "in the mouth of madness" the other day again, and I'll be buggered if that isn't one of the best lovecraftian movies of all time, on so many levels. It pays homage to all the mythos motifs without stripping them of their philosophical backdrop, and without being dull.... shame the commentary was all about the lighting WTF?...
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

I've wanted to check out At The Mouth of Madness for a while, but when I checked out a review online it didn't say anything about including the mythos anywhere in the movie.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

the style is similar to mythos stories: ominous, disorienting, mentally bizarre... it's not a mythos story, though. i saw it a long time ago and don't remember lots of details, but i know it was better than most horror movies.

if you get the movie and don't like it, ask your doctor if a swift kick to the nuts is right for you.
Contributors wanted! Fantastic Horror — Original Works of Disturbing Imagination
neonchris
Librarian
Librarian

Post by neonchris »

I'll second that. It's clever in that rather than try and emulate a lovecraft story or recreate a story it actually takes one step back and puts the "lovecraft phenomenon" into the frame too, as well as the idea of the necronomicon without ever using the term directly.

Have we already spoken about "Dark Waters" by Mariano Baino?... thats probably my current favourite Lovecraftian film...
Ulayoth
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Ulayoth »

I love ITMOM. That and Eternal Darkness are pretty much what turned my on to HPL.
pieplate
Mi-Go Brain-Bait
Mi-Go Brain-Bait

Post by pieplate »

ITMOM is a truly a great film, it builds fear and a sense of hopelessness quite beautifully. However i felt that the ending was a little weak. Loved the car being unable to leave (recognized this from a ramsey cambell story, The tomb herd i think).

As for DITWH i thougt it was wonderfully done but i am quite a sturt gordon fan. By the end i was feeling a similar way as i did when i first read the story.
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

i recently rented mouth of madness again, and it actually is quite mythosy there at the end, what with the 'old ones' coming back to claim the earth and what not. but if you ask me, all that stuff was unnecessary. i would have preferred if the author 'sutter cane' didn't play such a ham role once they found him. still, i have to keep the movie up there in my top 100
Danial
Scholar
Scholar

Post by Danial »

I thought Dreams In The Witch-House was quite good. Ezra Godden played the part well. It differed from the source a fair bit, but they were more likely budgetary in nature.

I also liked the aforementioned Black Cat. Though I've never gotten into Poe, it was good in its own right. The main character was played by the ever-popular Jeffery Combs :wink:

And speaking of In The Mouth of Madness, I bought it off eBay a year ago without ever having seen it (heard it was a decent Lovecraftian film) and was not disappointed. It's not a Mythos film, but it has many in-jokes and references to it. Well worth the watch!