"Mythicon" - Work In Progress...

Discuss your work, and the work of the contributors to the Temple.

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

"Mythicon" - Work In Progress...

Post by decadence »

Introduction:

I began work on a novel right as I am typing this. The idea popped into my head while I watched the ending to the LOTR - The Return of the King, this morning, for perhaps the 90th time that I have sat through the films.

The idea is, perhaps, the most ambitious thing I have ever undertaken as a writing project, and I am almost intimidated to just stop it right here and now. But almost, as it is often said, only counts with Horseshoes and Hand grenades.
:lol:

The title 'Mythicon' came to me while on wikipedia.org. I was looking up a character that appears in the DvD extended edition of TROTK, but nowhere else, in Peter Jackson's retelling of the greatest tale ever written down. This character, known most famously as 'The Mouth of Sauron', really disturbed me. I had not watched this version of the film before, and had not seen this scene played out. I knew who we was at a glance, as in the book, he was the "messenger" of Sauron himself, sent in before the final confrontation with Aragorn and all that followed. In the film, he was decapitated after taunting them all cruelly, tossing the armor Frodo had worn, claiming he was tortured to death. In the book, the messenger was rebuffed and in his fury, sent the legions of Mordor at them.

Regardless, this "creature" truly disturbed me. His face helped:

It wasn't the headpiece that struck me, even though the runes adorning it speak black things, the name of Sauron, the abhorred, etc, but the mouth. As the creature spoke, black ichorous goo frothed on his teeth, and his split lips and horrible voice just got under my skin. The sense of evil about this being was the most disturbing thing I have seen in the trilogy. I can see why this would have been cut out of the Theatrical release, as it was just too much for some.

He was in fact, upon further reading,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouth_of_Sauron

A human necromancer in the service of Sauron, and, in fact, of the same race as Aragorn himself. This means his long life had been spent doing horrendous evil in the Dark Lord's stead. What a life right?

Anyway, before it is assumed my idea is some of kind of tie-in to Tolkiens epic works (I am not worthy, nor would legality be on my side), my idea only borrows one concept from the sweeping saga of the War of the Ring and whatnot: Fantasy becoming reality.

That being said, the premise for my book (series I am sure, this is too big for a posting on some forum), is that, well, thinking about every legend and myth that mankind has kept over the ages, every creature, every idea, every fable, all of that HAS to come from sompeplace right? What if there existed a being who had the sole purpose in existence of "creating" man's fantasies. What if this being was some higher thing, a being whose charge it was to fuel the creativity of man, and keep him dreaming, as some form of balance against non-thought of our species.

That being said, now what if that being went mad, and began to make man's racially diverse visions reality? What if the nightmares, the monsters, the horrors, and the whims of mankind, collectively, were suddenly being made real?

What then?

That's the gist. Stay tuned... :twisted:
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

That sounds really, really good, man. Keep me posted.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

As a LotR fanatic, I have long been intrigued by the Mouth of Sauron. Imagine the dark and twisted backstory associated with that guy.

Anyway, the Mythicon concept is intriguing as well--loaded with possibilities.
Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

Yah The Mouth of Sauron is one of the coolest characters
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

Eternities End wrote:Yah The Mouth of Sauron is one of the coolest characters
I always figured the Mouth of Sauron would make an ideal villain for a LotR sequel.

Hey, it could happen.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

Eternities End
Deep One Spawn

Post by Eternities End »

E.A. Lovecraft wrote:
Eternities End wrote:Yah The Mouth of Sauron is one of the coolest characters
I always figured the Mouth of Sauron would make an ideal villain for a LotR sequel.

Hey, it could happen.
Yah too bad he got his ass kicked :?
Jesus Prime wrote:Good point. You sexy beast, you.
Mid-19th Century: Captain Obed Marsh explores Devil's Reef. Reputedly, he is searching for pirate treasure
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

Is this part of the novel you were telling me about Dec, if it is you're a damn good novelist. Keep going with this and keep me posted when it will be published. You can also send that to Diabolic Publications because they are looking for material to publish too. I got a story on an anthology there titled Spectral Exile.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
Pinonomicon
Occultist
Occultist

Post by Pinonomicon »

Great concept. It occured to me, this allows you free reign to include some great charcaters in your story. Even characters who may have been real people, their mythical attributes could be transferred to regular people in the street. Achilles versus Cuchulainn? Sweet.
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

Yeah I have thus far outlined 4 books LOL. This would turn out most likely as a mega-epic. I am thinking 20 books at most, 15 at the least.

I don't know. My main hanging point right now is where to place the beginning of the tale, meaning the present day, or something a little more archaic, such as perhaps the manifestations began happening back before the media revolution and that has fueled man's culture to the present.

Hmm, it will flesh out :P
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by decadence »

I am having a rough time with the timing to start still, Anyone have a suggestion?