Atmosphere Music

Need writing advice? Want to share works in progress? Look here!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Atmosphere Music

Post by Adrian »

I'd like to ask the artists here if they use any music while working? I use the Alien soundtrack and the one from Ravenous. Sort of a creepy, eerie and haunting tracks that sort of draw you mental pictures of what you try to create on paper. And also, Fantomas' "Delirium Cordia" is something a horror fan should listen to. In the dark and with headphones if you wish for a heart-attack. Anyway, do you sometimes use audio to write?
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING
nortonew
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by nortonew »

Oddly enough, I often have Enya on. Her song Aldaberan is weird and mystical and kind of reminds me of Lovecraft. Also, she has a song called Orinoco Flow that reminds me of some Lovecraft stories because it uses a lot of mythical place names.

She has one song, (that I can't remember the name of), where I would swear she says something like "I wonder if this Star Sign is to be mine?"
decadence
Shadow Out Of Time

Re: Atmosphere Music

Post by decadence »

Adrian wrote:I'd like to ask the artists here if they use any music while working? I use the Alien soundtrack and the one from Ravenous. Sort of a creepy, eerie and haunting tracks that sort of draw you mental pictures of what you try to create on paper. And also, Fantomas' "Delirium Cordia" is something a horror fan should listen to. In the dark and with headphones if you wish for a heart-attack. Anyway, do you sometimes use audio to write?
i make many songs that are atmospheric to listen to while I write. Some of it I release, some I do not. I use the Alien Resurrection Soundtrack on occasion to fuel my ears...
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

I tend to listen to whatever I am reviewing when writing. However I listen to quite a bit of Therion when writing some of my stories. Later Opeth and Anathema work rather nicely as well.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

I listen to quite a bit of Iced Earth and Metallica when I write Mythos stories -- but one band that creates a real atmosphere for a Cthulhu Mythos story is Starry Wisdom Sect.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

I find music distracting while trying to create something, as I frequently have to stop what I'm doing to sing along (which nobody wants to hear). Instrumentals don't work either, due to my strange compulsion to make up lyrics where they don't belong.

Now, give me that cliche stormy night, at least a windy one, and my muse begins to howl. Unfortunately, the storms have been rather sparse in northern Illinois this year.
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Ever thought about cd's of enviromental sounds ? :)
E.A. Lovecraft
Shadow Out Of Time

Post by E.A. Lovecraft »

Aleister wrote:Ever thought about cd's of enviromental sounds ? :)
No. Seems a waste to me, buying something I can get by opening my window. Except in my case I can't always choose the station, in a manner of speaking.

It's like my wife complaining about never being able to get to the gym so she can use the stairmaster. Maybe I'm nuts, but I've got this crazy notion that the flight of stairs in our home will work just as well, and nobody has to pay $30/month to use them. :roll:
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Stairs run out eventually. Maybe it's the turning around over and over people don't like ;)

Now if you installed an escalator, and ran it in reverse!
Lagwolf
Haunter of the Dark
Haunter of the Dark

Post by Lagwolf »

You do need to get the new Therion...man is it good mythos writing music.
NickolausPacione
Lurking Fear
Lurking Fear

Post by NickolausPacione »

I have actually thrown in a band called Starry Wisdom Sect. That is a good one to throw in there when writing Mythos based horror -- I was listening to them when I wrote "Shadow of the Gathering." The story INSECT came about from when I was listening to VOIVOD. Black Sabbath is also good for if you want to write some Mythos horror as well. Though the shark story though I am writing I have been listening to a lot of Tourniquet.
Online Publishing Company of Cthulhu Mythos Writer, NICKOLAUS A. PACIONE. Dirty Black Winter is out now the career spanding collection. An Eye In Shadows is available on Amazon.com and Lulu.com.
bill
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by bill »

The soundtrack to Conan the barbarian for all of my writing in horror.
Sometimes Beethoven's fifth or mozart.
Adrian
Primordial Evil
Primordial Evil

Post by Adrian »

I have to mention the OST for the movie "Ravenous". The movie is about cannibals at the age of the Gold Rush. Anyway, I enjoyd the movie as it has both humour and horror in it. The OST is instrumental mostly except for the track "Saveoursoulissa" which has some chanting. It even had somewhat Lovecraft feel to it, the movie I mean. It creates an eerie atmosphere. Which is very positive. Recommend it highly.
"I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit." - - - Childs
Jesus Prime wrote:You sure love your pudding.
Jesus Prime wrote:ADRIAN LOVES PUDDING