My Lovecraftian top 10...

Official forum for Unfilmable.com - film adaptations of H P Lovecraft

Moderators: mgmirkin, Pickman, Moderators

Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

My Lovecraftian top 10...

Post by Pickman »

I'm hoping to stimulate some conversation with this one! :)

I've been asked many times what my favorite Lovecraft (and Mythos) based films are, and It's a hard question to be sure.

For example, Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn is one of my 10 favorite horror films of all time, but it isn't one of my favorite Mythos films. It just doesn't have enough in it to qualify (films with Necronomicons are a dime a dozen). There are also other films linked to Lovecraft (such as Alien, The Blair Witch Project and The Fog) that might make a top 10 list of some kind, but I've excluded them from this list because their link to Lovecraft is mostly from the moody atmosphere they portray...

I've seen quite a few films in the 2 + years that I've run Unfilmable.com. Some are outstanding, and some fall just short of that (some on the other hand, are quite unmentionable!). I also have some guilty pleasures that won't make the list, but I catch myself watching them repeatedly...

These films though, are the one's that I'd recommend to anyone asking, "I'm interested in seeing some Lovecraft films, what should I watch?"

In no particular order...

The Ancestor (The Resurrected: Rough Cut)
by Dan O'Bannon

The Call of Cthulhu (trailer)
by Andrew Leman

Cool Air
by Bryan Moore

The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
by Edward Martin III

The Hound
by Anthony Penta

Late Bloomer
by Craig Macneill

The Music of Erich Zann
by John Strysik

Out of Mind: The Stories of H.P. Lovecraft
by Raymond Saint-Jean

Re-Animator
by Stuart Gordon

The Shunned House
by Ivan Zuccon

Will post my thoughts about each, when time permits...

Who's next?! :cthulhu2:

Take care,

Craig
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

Aside from the trailer for The Call of Cthulhu (which was very interesting btw), the only film I have seen from that list is Re-Animator. I am obviously a bit out of date when it comes to the films :)

I really do want to get my hands on some of these though. I still get suprised everytime I hear of a new one either in the works or allready produced. Maybe next year I will try harder to make it to the festival!

So from the ones I have seen, Re-Animator is definitly up there. I really enjoyed the latest - Beyond Re-Animator - and recommend it as well.

Dagon is by far my favorite so far (out of what I have seen of course).

The Dunwich Horror was the latest I had seen. I liked it well enough, but not as much as Necronomicon, which may not be that Lovecraft-oriented as far as the plot goes but it has a nice feel to it, and it's just flat out weird. :) Not to mention it stars Jeffrey Combs as well, playing Lovecraft.

I want to start getting some of these others very soon. I am just worried that when I start I will want to collect all I can and spend way too much money ;)
Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by Pickman »

Aleister,

Most of these will be available on DVD in the next year or so, either through Andrew Migliore's Lurker Films or someone else...

Andrew has already released Cool Air and The Hound, and will be releasing The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath (which is currently out of print), The Music of Erich Zann, Out of Mind: The Stories of H.P. Lovecraft (which is currently available on VHS only) and possibly The Ancestor (The Resurrected: Rough Cut)...

Director Craig Macneill will have DVDs of Late Bloomer for sale ($10.00) soon. The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society will be releasing The Call of Cthulhu sometime next year. Re-Animator and The Shunned House are already available...

I enjoyed Dagon as well, but wasn't a big fan of Beyond Re-Animator. It was nice to see Jeffery Combs in a Lovecraft film again though...

The Dunwich Horror is fun and Necronomicon has its moments as well.

Collecting Lovecraft films is an addictive habit, so beware! :)

Take care,

Craig
Aleister
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aleister »

I will have to pace myself then.

I am amazed I manage to keep from buying any Lovecraft related book I see :)

Thanks for the info!
Pickman
Reanimator
Reanimator

Post by Pickman »

Will post street dates and prices when I have them...